John Innes compost

LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,714
edited 18 April in The potting shed
I was sitting in the GH this afternoon with the tedious task of pricking out Lobelia, I’d contemplated the universe and beyond, just trying to take my mind off the task, then got to thinking about my bag of compost.
Levingtons Professional with added John Innes and enriched with recycled materials.
Now, I thought compost was recycled materials, what was it before it was enriched? An empty bag?
Now the John Innes bit, what turns a bag of compost into a John Innes, it looks like one, two or three handfuls of grit and sand in equal measures.  
Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,757
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    Before it was peat based. Now you get the rubbish that people like me send to the council to get rid (Bindweed, marestail etc)
    John Innes institute worked out a formula for various loam based composts and also  what they called "base" fertilizers. Different strengths for different uses.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,692
    The RHS website gives the John Innes composition but I've found it to be very variable between brands. If you avoid the peat based ones they seem to be sand, soil and coconut fibre now.