rethinking long grass area

We planned this area as a mini meadow, and planted bird's foot trefoil and red clover plugs in amongst the grass. I was prepared to get yellow rattle if the grass swamped them, but what actually happens is the bird's foot trefoil takes over in the summer, and we are left with bare patches where it blocks the light at this time of year after it's been mown. I was thinking of adding in more plants - perhaps trying red clover again - and mowing every 2 or 3 weeks to allow flowering, but stop it getting too long. Any thoughts welcome. I'd prefer any plants to be guinea pig safe.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,478
    Red clover gets quite tall ... probably a foot or more ... think hay meadow ... cutting every two or three weeks is way too often ... hay meadows are cut two or possibly three times a year at the most. 

If if you want to keep it shorter you need a different sort of plant ... have a look here https://www.scotiaseeds.co.uk/shop/flowering-lawn-mix/

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 313
    Ooh, thanks for that link! White clover, wild strawberry, dandelion and wild thyme are all definitely guinea pig safe.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,478
    👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,630
    edited 18 April
    Do you have any pics from the summer?

I think if I was doing a mini-meadow on that scale, I'd plant it like a 'prairie border' but using a native ornamental grass like Molinia caerulea, and native wildflowers (ones with a bit of 'oomph' like greater knapweed, red campion, betony, meadow cranesbill) dotted amongst it. You'd cut it all down once, in February/March.