Lawn Rollers

AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
Do people still use concrete lawn rollers in their private gardens? They were everywhere when I was a kid but I never see them now. I've recently moved lots of turf to create new borders and transplanted the turf to a new location but it's very uneven and now I need a roller. Certainly don't see them in B&Q. 

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 450
    Hi Achtung,

I've got one that you fill with water ..... so you can make it as heavy or light as you need it to be. I've had it for years so can't tell you where I originally bought it from .... but it's really useful.

Bee x
      image  Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,446
    OH borrows our next door neighbour's which weighs a ton, but as you say, you don't see them around much. You can get them on Ebay, or you can always try Freecycle. 
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    Thank you ladies. I had no idea they had water filled rollers. Great idea Bee. AnniD I've also discovered that you can hire them for £6 a day so all sorted now. Thanks again! 
  • Greg4Greg4 Posts: 76
    edited 26 April
    Rolling turf will not level a lawn, it will make matters worse. Best to level soil before turfing or peel back turf and level soil then place the turf back onto soil.
    Lawn rollers are for firming turf on sports fields usually after winter frost has lifted the turf.
    to firm soil before turfing you need to heel the soil all over and rake level.