Petition-Restore nature on a massive scale to help stop climate breakdown.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
Good one to sign.Something needs to be done urgently.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/254607
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,173
    Signed
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,856
    Signed.

But I can’t see it making much of an impression on this lot.

They have already decided that HS2 is going to demolish untold bits of ancient woodland and fill in countless ponds and boggy bits.

They are only interested in something if they can see it turning a profit for them and their mates. There’s no money in a frog’s croak or a robin’s tweetle.

Sorry to be so glum.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,768
    edited 17 April
    If HS2 was going to reduce carbon emissions, then I'd be all for it; but I'm not sure shaving twenty minutes off a London commute is going to change people's habits much. How about nationalising the rail and making the tickets cheaper instead? ;P

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
    pansyface said:
    Signed.

But I can’t see it making much of an impression on this lot.

They have already decided that HS2 is going to demolish untold bits of ancient woodland and fill in countless ponds and boggy bits.

They are only interested in something if they can see it turning a profit for them and their mates. There’s no money in a frog’s croak or a robin’s tweetle.

Sorry to be so glum.

I suppose we have to try something although with the Climate Extinction
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47947775
    people and the Central banks saying something
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-47965284
    maybe things are being nudged in the right direction.
    Nothing will happen overnight but we have to start somewhere  :)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,559
    More people means more homes  means less room for nature. We will never restore nature unless the world population comes under control. Nature usually achieves this by some pandemic or other, like the flu epidemic of 1918 that killed more people than WW1.  Sorry to be pessimistic, but I don't think a petition will achieve anything.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,125
    I was just think of the same thing FB,  too many people in the world, a petition to bring in a two children only law would be a good one. 
    They all want a car,  they want a house each, single people buying houses, do lots of travelling, consumerism, how will things ever get better.
    The young blame the old for ruining their world.  

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I do believe some difference can be made by governments though. For example, i used to look odd in supermarkets if I brought in my own bags. Now, since the 5p charge most people re use their plastic bags. Imagine the difference this has made on a national scale. More measures like this would help. 
    Little improvements here and there certainly help.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    Lyn said:
    I was just think of the same thing FB,  too many people in the world, a petition to bring in a two children only law would be a good one. 
    They all want a car,  they want a house each, single people buying houses, do lots of travelling, consumerism, how will things ever get better.
    The young blame the old for ruining their world.  

I suspect the average number of children in the UK, and probably most of the developed world is 2 or fewer.  That isn't where the problem is with population growth.  Dare to suggest that other parts of the world need to take action and see the reaction!
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    edited 18 April
    Population is driven by wealth, health and life expectancy not so many years ago it was not uncommon for family's in the UK to have six ten or even more children, boys would be expected to work and girls were domestic and family's looked after each other from birth to death there was no state pension, national health etc children died young as they still do in many countries so they like we did have big family's it's called survival.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,858
    WillDB said:
    If HS2 was going to reduce carbon emissions, then I'd be all for it; but I'm not sure shaving twenty minutes off a London commute is going to change people's habits much. How about nationalising the rail and making the tickets cheaper instead? ;P

don't forget making the commuter belt bigger so that locals can't afford to buy houses in the town they grew up in, theres that as well :(