Growing cup and saucr plants for the first tim

Hello Everyone, 
I'm new to the website and have probably a stupid question so here goes, I've started to grow the cup and saucer plants ( can't remember the proper name ) from seed, they are now ready to pot on to larger pots looking on the internet for instructions it states to pinch out the tips to start the side shoots to grow, can anyone let me know when to do this as my plants only have started to grow further leaves just after the first two leaves. I would appreciate any info given thank you.

P.S I said it was a stupid question.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,342
    Can you post a photo of the seedlings?  Is it this? https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/4047/Cobaea-scandens/Details

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 608
    I have just sown some of the above seeds for the 1st time also Mallets159  and am very interested in what people have to say about growing them. I’ve sown the original purple one and the white form too. Mine have only got the cotyledon leaves at the moment.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Malletts159Malletts159 Posts: 3
    Hello Bob,
    Thanks for the quick reply without going through the photos off me, the flowers on your link are the one's I am growing and they have grown there first leaves and are starting on there next sprouting leaves, some still have the seed outer skin on and when I tried to remove it managed to break of the leaves so I stopped doing that. I would like to know at what height do I pinch out to encourage further growth?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,273
    It sounds as if your plants are far too young and small to be pinching out yet. When they are ready to pot on (are you sure they are big enough yet?) insert a small stake, let them grow on and start twining a bit. Plants need their top growth when young to feed the roots. I don’t grow this plant, so I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to advise you, but generally, I pinch out when the plants are ready to plant outside.
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 227
    I grew this from seed for a few years, but many years ago now so I can’t quite remember what I did. I think you could pinch it out when it has a couple of true leaves. They will take off and grow quite large when you eventually plant them out.  Beautiful plant, I wish I had space for one!
    East Anglia
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,273
    I believe I am correct in saying (but happy to be corrected) that if a plant only has a couple of true leaves, and you pinch them out, there is nothing left to feed the plant, no leaves for photosynthesis, it will die. Cotyledon leaves do not feed the plant. There really is no rush, let it get to at least a foot high first!
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 607
    Hi Mallets and welcome to the forum.

As everyone has said above they are too small to pinch out yet. Pinching out removes the growing tip and thereby diverts the growth hormone to the side leaves which will then grow new stems, making the plant bushier. In order for this to happen there needs to enough side leaves to make the stems. The plants are not only busy making leaves but also strong roots. I would let them do that a while longer before giving them grief. They will need potting on when the roots have filled the pot they are in or thereabouts, don’t pot on too quickly, as others said pop a smal cane in for them to climb up. Hope that helps explain!

PS- there are no stupid questions.. we all start somewhere! Good luck!
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 607
    edited 18 April
    Impressive labels @brightstar! 😍
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 608
    My new toy from Santa😂
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 376
    I’m growing this as well for the first time. I think mine is just about the right size to be pinched out, but I’m not sure I want bushier plants. I have six of them and not a lot of space.