Bluebell Armistice

B3B3 Posts: 7,935
Let me start by saying that the battle to save the English bluebell in this area is well and truly lost.  The Spanish are in gardens, garage access roads -everywhere.
With the zeal of a zealot, I've been removing them from the woody end of the garden. I noticed a small clump of narrow-leafed hybrids, which really looks quite lovely. So I'm leaving it.  so there!

In London. Keen but lazy.

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 601
    There are no native bluebells within a meaningful distance of us, and our front lawn is literally chocka with them, they look lovely, and I happily let them be, then lawnmower the lot as soon they finish flowering. Some wars are lost before they are begun
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,565
    I'm trying to give up feeling morose when I see the Spaniards.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,565
    I planted English ones in my shady raised bed (hopefully so that I can contain it). The ones just along the lane I think are hybrids, one day I think they're Spanish and the next English, so it's confused of Bath here.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 459
    Hope you don't mind me bobbing in, but can anyone tell me the best time of year to visit a bluebell wood in all its glory as we have one not to far away and I always miss out on seeing it. Thank you 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,565
    My woods are out now. London.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,958
    Round here (Surrey) its normally early May, but think they are early this year (like most things 🤔)
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,273
    What I find weird is that I have lived in various parts of Spain for nigh on 19 years. I love visiting woodlands and wild places, have travelled over much of it. I have never seen a Spanish bluebell. Were they all exported to the UK?
  • islanderislander A small island off the west coast of Ireland. Posts: 547
    Meomye said:
    Hope you don't mind me bobbing in, but can anyone tell me the best time of year to visit a bluebell wood in all its glory as we have one not to far away and I always miss out on seeing it. Thank you 
     At that season I long to be back in Killarney where there is the most glorious bluebell wood ever.  https://www.google.com/search?q=bluebells+killarney&rlz=1C1GCEA_enIE809IE809&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpppvAp-HhAhUCRxUIHXThAhAQ_AUIDigB#imgrc=SwUdfoFy0JMGmM:

I have never seen spanish bluebells  and would love bluebells of any nationality but folk get so worked uo about "invasive species".... gunnera  became popular but now is being assassinated .. there is oine here that is safe 

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,343
    Been out in Bluebell woods this weekend in Derbyshire. They're just hitting their peak which is the best time imho. 
  • AlliumPurpleSensationAlliumPurpleSensation Kent Posts: 68
    I canicross with my dog every Saturday on our local Bluebell wood, they are out in places where the sun has got to them and die to this weather will be glorious next weekend.

Me and the dog in our smaller local wood.