Forum home Plants

Woodland plants from seed

2»

• jaffacakesjaffacakes Posts: 434
    Oh wow thank you, some more great plants. I didn't know there was a perennial honesty. The bowles Golden grass looks great too. Think that will look nice to brighten up shady areas. 
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 399
    I have dusky cranesbill and sweet cicely in the fridge at the  mo to try and germiate them, and am trying to grow ransoms (wild garlic)

• UpNorthUpNorth Posts: 376
    OOhh this could be really useful thread for me too!

does anyone know that any of the above would do fine on a railway track bed (the rocks) with about 3 inch of sandy soil having amassed on top since the seventies. 

It's surrounded by trees so dark, except at the edge where i'd plant, so 'edge of woodland' but well out of afternoon sun.   i've already spread hundreds of bluebell seeds last autumn, but clearly they're all years from doing anything.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,144
    Up North ,
    A diminutive relation of its much larger cousin , have you thought of trying Gunnera
    magellanica ? Mine seems to grow in sun or shade providing it has moisture .
    A low growing spreading species , evergreen in mild Winters and something different !
    The incorporation of humus or other organic matter might be preferable if you only have  around 3" of soil available .
    Just a thought also ; a low-growing speading fern such as Blechnum penna-marina could be useful .
    I think I'm deviating from the original idea of this thread , but just suggestions ! :*
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes Posts: 434
    Thanks again all. I went for the below with Chiltern seeds  :)

Galium odoratum149G1£ 2.25
    Lunaria rediviva827E1£ 2.65
    Milium effusum aureum870A1£ 2.75
    Polemonium caeruleum, 'White Pearl'1024F1£ 2.65
    Hesperis matronalis, White681R1£ 1.95
    Geranium phaeum624B1£ 3.75
    Dodecatheon meadia var. alba475A1£ 2.72
    Thalictrum delavayi1238B1£ 2.25
    Pulmonaria officinalis ssp. obscura1071E1£ 3.45
    Nigella damascena, 'Albion Green Pod'902E1£ 1.95
    Viola labradorica1277N1£ 2.95
    Myosotis alpestris, 'White'890K1£ 1.99

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    Watch out for that Gallium, it spreads like crazy!
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • FireFire Posts: 18,965
    There are non variegated pulmonaria out there, if you prefer plain leaves. (I do).