Planter - Soil

Apologies but I am a novice...
I am using a large wooden planter for my postage stamp front "garden", in which I plan to plant cordylines, grasses, spring bulbs and seasonal bedding plants.  Apart from the bedding plants, I am hoping to keep my further input to a minimum.

What I need advice on is what should I fill the planter with?  It is approx. 2m in length, 1m wide and .5m deep.  I am assuming any good quality top soil will suffice.

Any advice would be truly welcome.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,591
    edited 17 April
    You can use a loam based compost. Something like John Innes 2 or 3 will do for your requirements. Some wooden planters are not lined. If not I recommend you do it yourself. You can also add grit into the areas where you plant bulbs and bedding plants.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,569
    Cordyline will soon outgrow half a metre depth - perhaps a deeper section for that particular plant ?
  • Thanks both.

Phillipa:  The cordylines we were looking at are not that big (possibly 50cm tall), so would you still think that the planter would be too shallow?

Borderline: No, it is not lined but I had already thought of that.  Thank you for the advice about grit, that is not something I would have known.