Forum home Plants

Unusual dusky roses

FfoxgloveFfoxglove Posts: 538
Hello, rose enthusiasts! Recently I've been reading about some roses I've never heard of and can't seem to find in any garden centres near me. They've all got unusual dusky colouring which I like.
I was wondering if anyone had experience of actually growing them:
Honey dijon

Koko loco

And Julia's rose 

Thanks! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,948

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,483
    @Marlorena may know. I rather like the look of Koko Loko. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,644
    These are not the kind of roses I grow but I can tell you something about them ...

Probably the best is 'Honey Dijon'... but both this and 'Koko Loco' the flowers don't last too long and blow quickly...  with 'Koko Loco' they fade to a lavender colour..

'Julias Rose' ...needs good cultivation and spraying for black spot... it is not very disease resistant...

..that's all I know...
    East Anglia, England
    I am glad you have all this knowledge Marlorena ! We are planning on planting roses in the bed in the front garden in the autumn and l was tempted by the unusual colour, but thought it was too good to be true .
    I try...   if you want a fabulous modern rose for your garden, great scent and health, unusual coloured blooms,  consider 'Rachel'... everyone I know raves about it...  it was named after Rachel de Thame, a GW presenter..
    East Anglia, England
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,430
    What do think about 'Buff Beauty' Marlorena? Would it look good next to 'Penelope'?
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    edited April 2019
    @Lizzie27

Yes absolutely, because they are both in the same class 'Hybrid Musks',  with similar growth habits... 

Penelope is unusual in that it has the most beautiful blush pink hips, .. as they are usually reddish orange on most roses..

I grow 'Cornelia', which is another one of these... bred by the same people... oh and 'Felicia' too, I have that..
    East Anglia, England
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021
    @Dovefromabove likes Buff Beauty I believe and it is a warm but subtle apricot colour.  I'm afraid I find those roses above just muddy, not dusky.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove Posts: 538
    Thank you @Marlorena. They were so tempting but when I searched and no one had talked about them... You start to wonder!

Rachel looks amazing just right. I'm looking for something shorter and Bushier to replace jubilee celebration which I love but is too tall and leggy. I'm gifting it to my mum.

Thank you so much! 
    I have just had a look at Rachel as well . That one is going on the list!  Funnily enough my husband was talking about Rachel de Thame the other day, we were wondering how she was getting on.