Forum home Plants

Buddleias - restricting height

JudyNJudyN Posts: 119
I have a gap I'm thinking of putting a buddleia in. I want something attractive, both to me and to wildlife, and I'm eyeing up Black Knight. One thing I'm unsure of though... according to Crocus they grow to 3m, which would be a little too big, but according to J Parker they grow to 2m which would be as tall as I'd want, but can be pruned hard to restrict their size. However, I thought you were meant to prune them hard anyway so assumed they could reach their ultimate height despite being cut hard back in spring. Would it be possible to keep Black Knight to no more than 2m - possibly just 1.80m?

If it's going to be too vigorous, could anyone suggest alternatives please? I've seen smaller ones, but they tend to be too compact.

• JellyfireJellyfire Posts: 1,139
    Some of the supposed dwarf Buzz varieties might do the job. Ive got one which peaks at about 2 meters, I think there are varieties ranging from much smaller up to about that height. 
    I think if youre growing conditions are good you will struggle to contain Black Knight to that kind of height 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,766
    If you cut them hard every spring, it's unlikely to reach 3m . Unpruned yes, but otherwise it'll be around the 2m mark you're looking for.
    If you prune them later than the usually recommended March, it'll stop them getting tall as well. 
    Devon.
  • JudyNJudyN Posts: 119
    Thanks both :-) I'd looked at some Buzz varieties but got the impression they were all smaller. But some plants do refuse to conform...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,787
    Have a look at Buddleja Miss Ruby ... we have one in front of our sitting room window ... it grows to about 5’ tall each year ... I cut it hard back to below my knee height each March. 
    https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/buddleia/miss-ruby-butterfly-bush-buddleia-x
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,538
    Buddleja Nanho Blue reaches around 2m in my front garden (sandy soil)
  • JudyNJudyN Posts: 119
    Ooh, I like the look of Nanho Blue :) Miss Ruby is lovely too, Dovefromabove, but I'm more of a blue/purple person ;-) There's heleniums in front of where the buddleia would go so they'll make a lovely contrast.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,787
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,830
    I've got 'Lochinch' which has lovely silvery leaves (which stayed on all the past winter which was a bonus). The flowers are a lavender colour with a small orange eye. I keep t down to about 6 ft.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone