Gardening gloves

• B3B3 Posts: 10,520
    I use Briers leather gloves .They're lovely and soft and they fit like a glove😉

For more delicate jobs I use a thinnish vinyl palm with a knitted top. I only have it on on  my left hand  and keep my right hand free for the really delicate weeding.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,027
    I like the Showa thermal gloves for colder weather working. They really do keep my hands warm and the butile rubber palm and fingers keep hands nice and dry but not sweaty.
    I find them a little coarse for finer work but they are great for the sort of work you do in winter (cutting back etc).

I also have some of those gauntlets for prickly jobs.

About this time of year I swap to using Sophie Conran (for Burgeon and Ball) gloves.

They fit really snugly so they are good for finer work (picking small weeds) - but the slightly stretchy fabric backs makes them very comfy to wear and I like padded knuckles for leaning on. A pair lasts me one and a half seasons - much longer than most gloves I've tried in the past.

My current pair are raspberry coloured so they're easier to spot when I throw them down at coffee time...
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 499
    A glove for all seasons @Topbird  ;)
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,027
    One cannot have too many gloves @amancalledgeorge 😄

I also use CSI gloves for potting on...
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,551
    I go through gloves really quickly, regardless of price, so I buy cheap and replace often. I use thin Gardena gloves, stretchy fabric on the outside and rubber on the inside for most stuff, with cheap gauntlets for tough pruning jobs. I can’t get on with leather, too stiff (even the softest, good quality ones), but most of the time I end up discarding even the gardena ones as I work - I like to feel the soil...
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,584
    I've got a couple of pairs of leather gloves for spikey work and some of the silicon palm and finger ones for general work.  I love them because I can feel things properly through them.  I've had several brands so no real favourite.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I do agree with you @Nollie I do like to feel the soil so wear the gloves for the general gardening work, but when sowing seed, pricking out etc every thing comes off and I get down n dirty 😒

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,551
    Blimey, does anyone actually wear gloves for sowing and pricking out, if so, how do they manage?! With me, @Hampshire_Hog the gloves are off for weeding, planting out, dead heading... its really only major digging, landscaping (a lot of rock shifting going on), pruning spiky roses or sappy euphorbias. They even came off planting out Pyracantha, again soil feeling was involved. No wonder my hands are a mess!