Neighbour trimmed my hedge

We have a Leylandi hedge in our garden which borders my garden and the two gardens which back onto ours. It is definitely our hedge. The hedge is only 1.6m tall. 
A couple of years ago one of the neighbours who backs onto us trimmed the hedge down a lot so we could see right into their garden. We explained we want the hedge to grow taller for more privacy and were annoyed they hadn’t asked us first before trimming it. 
Well I have just looked out to see that they have trimmed their side (which is fair enough) but they have curved it over - taking half the top off. 
I am so annoyed!! I can’t decide whether it is worth speaking to them or not? 
I would have the hedges pulled out and a fence put up instead if it wasn’t so expensive. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,343
    We have a Leylandi hedge in our garden which borders my garden and the two gardens which back onto ours. It is definitely our hedge. The hedge is only 1.6m tall. 
    A couple of years ago one of the neighbours who backs onto us trimmed the hedge down a lot so we could see right into their garden. We explained we want the hedge to grow taller for more privacy and were annoyed they hadn’t asked us first before trimming it. 
    Well I have just looked out to see that they have trimmed their side (which is fair enough) but they have curved it over - taking half the top off. 
    I am so annoyed!! I can’t decide whether it is worth speaking to them or not? 
    I would have the hedges pulled out and a fence put up instead if it wasn’t so expensive. 
    he's breaking the law, so yes, speak to him. 
    He's allowed to cut back whatever overhangs, but , technically, has to "offer" the cuttings back to you, but he has no right to cut anything on your side of the fence.
    Devon.
  • jenniferbairdjenniferbaird Posts: 10
    edited 16 April
    Thank you, I thought as much. I hate confrontation so the thought of going round to speak to them makes me so nervous. I find him really intimidating! 
  • Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 1,836
    Hope he hasn’t cut the growing tip off😳
    North East
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,228
    If they’ve curved it over and trimmed half the top, have they encroached over the boundary line or just gone to the middle of the hedge which they might see as reasonable. 

Thats what  my in-laws neighbours used to do and it felt fine to all ... now both MIL and her NDN are elderly and on their own we trim both sides when we visit as NDN has no one to do it.

I know that sometimes it can feel that your space is being invaded ... but so much depends on different folks’ experiences and understanding of being neighbours.   

On reflection, have they really done anything ‘wrong’ ... or is it just part of the give and take of being neighbours ... like us putting up with our NDS’ cats and wind chimes, and them popping round to feed ‘our’ hedgehogs when we’re away 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,256
    Take a deep breath then go and explain, politely, that he is actually breaking the law as well as upsetting you and that it would be so much better for good neighbourly relations if he had the courtesy and common sense to discuss your hedge with you before taking any action.

You have a right to a safe boundary and you have the right to let that hedge grow to 2m.  He has no right to damage your property and risk harming the hedge.  Invite him to erect a fence on his side if he doesn't like it. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 719
    edited 16 April
    I decided a yew hedge would be a better long term solution to a fence.  But have already had the worry of premature lopping from the other side of the boundary.  Which made me think a better solution would have been to put in a wire mesh fence, something like livestock fencing, and then let the hedge grow through accepting that they can cut back to the fence to their hearts content.

At my family home, we had unmanaged conifers at the back of the garden, they were very anti-social given the small garden behind that was shaded.  So I can understand people wanting to keep them in check.

If they are being knobs, rip out the hedge, put a trampoline there and do your naked bouncing a few times a day.

• Wayside that made me laugh! I think I am going to sleep on it and then decide tomorrow whether to speak to them or not. I totally understand them wanting the trim back their side but there was no need for them to take anything off the height. Thanks everyone!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,285
    It's true that the neighbour has trimmed the hedge more than they should have, but if I am reading it correctly, this has not affected the height of the hedge at the OP's side.  Is it really worth creating bad feeling by complaining about it?  If they were working from ground level, with the hedgetrimmer held overhead it's almost inevitable that the final cut would be at an angle.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,256
    It depends on how far down they've cut.  Into the wood and it's a dead hedge from that point on.  Also, if it looks horrid from the owner's side it's a problem.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • You are correct it hasn’t affected the height in my side, but the hedge isn’t that thick, so by trimming into the top on their side it has lowered the height of the whole thing. I am convinced they have taken some of the longer branches from my side but cannot be sure. Obelixx it does look worse from my side now than it did before :(