Would it be less bother with a hover? (Mower)

I've got a push-pull mower which is fine, but there are two draw backs - the slightest twig stops the mechanism in it's tracks, and you have to overshoot the edge of the lawn slightly to mow up to the edge, which is bad news for plants at the front of the border.

Would a hover mower be a better bet, especially in being able to slide underneath plants at the edge of the lawn a bit better?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    I had a hover mower (long time ago now) and it would tend to scalp the edges.  I think it lost some "lift" because the soil in the border was a couple of inches lower than the lawn.  I gave up on it and have had cylinder mowers ever since, and also edged my lawns with block pavers.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,725
    I use a push mower and just trim the edges with lawn shears or I leave some patches of weeds and long grass which suits my garden style. I'm not a 'fan' of hover mowers, the cut is terrible, they blow stuff everywhere and they get gunked up with mulched grass.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,632
    Get a lightweight grass strimmer with a 'flower guard' to do the edges and stick with your push-pull mower for the rest. You get a much better lawn than with a hover mower
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    OK I think a strimmer makes sense, and it'd be cheaper and save space.

I have been doing the edges with scissors; I do have brick edging but even so, I like it when plants flop over a bit which makes mowing an issue!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,608
    Doing the edges with scissors!!!!!!  I've got over 200 feet of edges and 2 knackered knees.  No way am I doing that.
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 201
    I’ve been using a hover, but would now rather have a push mower, for the reasons @wild edges mentioned. Plus, it’s a beast to manoeuvre. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero