Do I need an electric start mower?

I am finding it increasingly difficult to start my petrol mower manually ie, pulling the cord, I just don't have the strength to yank it. I am thinking I need to purchase an electric start mower. Is it me or are some of the pull start mowers easier than others? I currently have a Mountfield. 

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730
    Not an answer to your question but I bought an electric start mower to sort of 'future proof' it.  I use the electric start all the time because it's so easy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,608
    Yes some are definitely easier to start than others, but all pull-start require a degree of effort.  Have you considered going fully electric i.e. cordless?  They are much lighter than any petrol mower, plus they don't have to be serviced every year or two.  If you do consider that route make sure you get one with a metal blade, as I only discovered recently that some have plastic!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    We have a mower that would be great if the deck could be replaced. The engine and blades are fine.  The next one will be self propelled and with an electric start. None of us are getting any younger. I have never been able to do the pull start fast enough. Why make life hard for yourself as you get older? The first thing I will do at the next (and hopefully final) house is to put down hard paths around the garden. We currently have grass paths. Look pretty , but need constant maintenance in summer and are too muddy in winter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 743
    Our GTECH battery mower is doing a good job for us, as long as the grass isn't too long and not wet, it is light and easy to handle.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 320
    as stated size of grass area first consideration (and how rough/flat it is).   i use a really wide self-propelled which has electric start and had no trouble with this in it's five years with me, so if it's a question of reliability etc, it needn't be a concern.    

Is it failing to start without a dozen pulls, or your own physical capability?  it concerns me that if it's the latter, then having a petrol mower to service, clean etc, isn't perhaps best (they're much heavier to manage than say corded/battery mowers and the suggestions above for battery mowers (if a modest lawn size) might be better.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949
    When I had a Mountfield I could never get it started. But, if you take the cover of the filter off it started first time. Have a screw driver handy, the filter cover is a little square  box on the top with a bit of foam inside it and with a single screw for the lid - take it off, prime the fuel, start the mower with one pull easily - and then, while keeping the motor running, put the lid and the screw back on (easily done one-handed). Did this for many many years until I got a Honda easy-start mower. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    cornelly said:
    Our GTECH battery mower is doing a good job for us, as long as the grass isn't too long and not wet, it is light and easy to handle.
    That's precisely my experience of the Gtech mower.  My neighbour had one and I used to cut the grass for her when she was unwell.  Great on dry grass, but not if the grass is damp and a bit longer.  Some battery mowers have more oomph than others.
    hogweed said:
    Did this for many many years until I got a Honda easy-start mower. 
    My Honda Izy starts very easily when it's cold.  Virtually first time, every time with little effort.  When I have to stop it to empty the grass box it's almost impossible to restart until it's cooled down, so I use the time constructively with a nice cuppa.  I've seen numerous other comments about the same problem.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 524
    Thanks for replies. I think I could cope with the pull cord if I only had to do it once or twice but I do have to do it several times by which time I have no energy left to do it!  :s I think looking forward as I am not getting any younger it is time for a change.