Cottage Garden By Philip-2019.

nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 609
Spring starts a new Thread,..however the Cottage Garden By Philip can still be viewed below.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1012015/cottage-garden-by-philip#latest.

Starting off the 2019 Thread with,..a short video ''Spring 2019''.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 2,988
    Good morning everyone  :) 
    Don't know yet if Hedgehog (or Mouse) turned up as l haven't checked the camera yet. I was talking to a neighbour yesterday a couple of gardens away, and he said he hadn't seen the hedgehog for a few weeks. 
    OH came back with 4 more bags of soil from his mum's yesterday but neither of us had the inclination to sieve them - a job for today maybe! I have ordered the nematodes, so my little munching friends are on notice ......
    @nultyphilip224 your walk along the jetty sounds extremely nerve wracking, l'm glad you were able to secure the boat safely. When you described dancing as lurching,  my mental picture this time was of Lurch from the Addams family ! I'm sticking with the Fred Astaire scenario. 
    Laughed out loud at the photos of Whisper asleep with her head in the food bowl. I have had a few evenings lately where l could have done the same! 
    @Purplerain , l was very good o:) and didn't get on to the Secret Garden website. In all honesty l just cannot justify buying any more plants (at the moment....). I wonder if @Fran IOM was as good ? I suspect not...... >:)
    Hoping that @Valley Gardener 's absence means that she and OH are taking it easy and recovering. 
    Guess who is watching me from the roof across the road ? It is the literal meaning of "Keeping a beady eye on you " ! Time to get up and prepare his breakfast then we can get on with ours !
    Have a good day all.  :)
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,173
    Thank you for the kind comments,everone. But I'm still really ill with flu. Now got conjunctivitis,my chest and stomach muscles feel so sore,and now after a night of coughing,my teeth on one side ache!! Guess that's neuralgia.
    Hubby has the bad throat,but he's talking of going down to Lidls thismorning. He says should he get a Dr call out,if I don't improve soon. It's getting to that,but it will just be take paracetamol,and stay warm,and drink a lot,which I'm already doing. 
    So sorry to pass my miseries on!😣😣
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    Feel free to vent, @Valley Gardener . So sorry you feel so rough, all you can do is wait for it to pass. Best wishes to you & your OH, and if the doctor needs to be called, then so be it. Take care x
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 624
    edited 16 April
    @nultyphilip224. Thank you for starting this new thread, and kicking it off with that lovely video. After spending the last year with you, in your garden, I am looking forward to what emerges this year.

I hope the weather clears up and the thought of you trying to secure the boat in high winds is very scary. Glad you managed to do it. Loved the photo of Whisper sleeping in her dinner. Cats are so laid back, and I wish I could doze off at will, although not in my dinner. I have seen children do it occasionally.

@AnniD, Mr B is a very clever boy. Why forage when he has his servant (you) to do it for him. Many many years ago, when I lived abroad in a ramshackle old house, a fledgling blackbird fell down the chimney and we rescued her. She was all beak and no feathers, so we fed her bread and milk and mashed worms and she grew. I was allowed to bring her to work and every lunchtime the staff went out looking for food for her. She grew into a very beautiful bird, and although she was big enough to fend for herself she stayed around, until one day she flew off and we never saw her again. I still think of her.

I am on my second coffee now, so that is my signal to get on with things. Have a lovely day all. I hope @Fran IOM and @Valley Gardener find the new thread. ( just noticed you posted before me VG. Keep warm.
    SW Scotland
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 724
    edited 16 April
    Good Morning all.
    No sun today yet but quite mild and no wind so that's a bonus. Some rain forecast but hopefully not this afternoon. 
    @Purplerain  Are you sure you only came back from GC with a bag of compost? Don't think I could do that. So far I have been able to resist the SGC. Did look at all their offers but kept reminding myself that I still have a few to plant out when they are ready and an order is still to arrive hopefully today. Would be overwhelmed if another order was due. I did buy locally three trailing fuchsias to make up another hanging basket. They were 3 for £5 but as there were only four there with two looking healthy and the other two looking dead I risked it by including a dead one with my three which I got for half price. I had a feeling that it just needed watering and after twos hours it was as good as the others. Nw need to make up the hanging basket. Hope you are able to get out into your garden today after being busy yesterday. The allotments here are all privately owned hence being able to do what you like with them. I bought mine when I retired quite by accident. One son said it was up for sale and was I interested. Not at first but when I thought about it I decided it would be a good idea. It hadn't been used in years but could see the potential. Wouldn't be without it now.
    @AnniD. You have reminded me that I still have a lot of topsoil to sieve. Such a boring job but good to see the "mountain" getting smaller. Hope you manage to do yours. As you will read above I did resist the SGC although I did look at all their offers. I forget how some plants spread and think I still have plenty of room. My lack of knowledge is knowing what to plant with what and how much room to allow for them. Being impatient I can't wait for them to get established. 
    @Valley Gardener  So sorry you don't seem to be improving. At least OH is able to get out if you need anything. Maybe a course of antibiotics is needed. So frustrating when you are doing all the right things and no improvement. Hope you find the answer.
    @nultyphilip224. Hope your weather has improved by now. At least you didn't have too much damage but securing your boat must have been a scary thing. My cat has a cushion just like the one Whisper is asleep on under the radiator. In spite of buying him a bed last winter which he slept in every night he won't go near it now and prefers the cushion. Poor Whisper must have been tired to end up in her food. My stone cat is very small but irresistible. I find the electrical flex is better than the wire for holding the fuchsia up as it seems to bend with the wind. There were already "screw rings" in the wall so was able to secure it to those. I inherited a really good hose with the allotment. It is extremely long and reaches every corner so I am lucky. Like you it is always laid out but when wanting to see the place tidier it can be laid up the pathway. Now that the flowers are dying off on the primroses I will think about splitting them. Did it last year and was successful and then they all started flowering again and haven't stopped till now. Haven't had a chance to view your video yet but will do later.

Sorry if I have missed anything but I really must get on with more mundane things.
    Can see the sun now so maybe the forecast of rain won't happen. Here's hoping..

Have a good day all and a "feeling better" day for @Valley Gardener.
    @Purplerain that's a lovely story about the blackbird  <3 . We had to go out this afternoon and Mr B was most displeased. I told him that l had done some digging this morning (got rid of a kniphofia and planted a rose amongst other things), and had seen Mrs B foraging for worms etc. Nothing to stop him doing the same.The neighbours probably think l am mad (that's if they didn't already of course),  wondering who l'm talking to. 
    @Fran IOM, no sign of even Mouse on camera last night, but there was a cat around which probably accounts for it ! I didn't dare look at the Secret Garden email let alone the website!  I have promised  OH that he can dismantle the second coldframe as soon as the plants go off to the charity shop in the next couple of weeks. 
    Nearly bought another clematis at The Range this morning, they were really healthy and £7. Then my conscience said "You don't need any more" (Well actually it was OH that said it, but he and my conscience were as one o:) ).
    @nultyphilip224, l have just got round to watching your video, it's lovely . You have a talent there, that's for sure. 
    Take care, each.  :)
  • nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 609
    edited 16 April
    @AnniD,..sounds bad for Hedgehog if your neighbour hasn't spotted it either,..no sign of Mouse as well,..seeing the Cat was about i can understand his absence,..that Mouse is no fool,..as for Hedgehog i think its because of Spring  :)

Lurch from the Addams Family lol,..i had forgotten all about him and the Family as the Program isn't shown here now and for a long time past,..mmmmm i will stick to the Fred Astaire movements.

Thank you for looking at the video.

One wee Hog turned up in the dark hours of this morning.

I would have known one had visited as there was a Hedgehog Blend of Slug and Snail Mix at the back door.

@Valley Gardener,..sorry to read that you have got worse,..you have the works of that bug,..we are thinking about you and hoping there will be improvements,..look after yourself and OH.

Philip
    @Purplerain,..starting the new Thread made me realise that i am here 12 months now,..it doesn't seem like that at all,..delighted you enjoyed the Thread and i hope this new one will be even better with lots of blooms.

''Whisper'' sleeping in her food dish reminded me of when i had kittens around as they were always doing that,..it was a first for me to see a mature Cat doing it,..oh and small Children lol.

Reading your story about the Blackbird you helped and nourished,..lovely story,..i can imagine your co workers out looking for food for Blackbird,..sad it went away and never returned,..there is a saying,..if you think you own it,..set it free,..if it comes back,..its yours,..if it doesn't,..it never was.

Its nice you still think about it.

The Amaryllis 'Royal Red' has finished blooming but the bulb that grew from it will be producing blooms in the near future.

There were four blooms on the Amaryllis 'Minerva',..sadly i knocked against it and broke one off,..i could blame Foxy Molly,..but i couldn't prove it.

edited 16 April
    @Fran IOM,..you made a good decision buying that allotment,..its given you great pleasure,..is it far from your home?,..where the allotments are privately owned its a feel good situation as you know the people around you and not having someone new appear every so often.

Beautiful day today,..took Foxy Molly down by the river,..it looks like i can return to my own side of the river tomorrow,..weather permitting,..wandered about the garden moving containers about as the places i had them in were really to prevent Foxy Molly from just running through plants,..so far she has not done any damage and picks her way through plants carefully,..now Molly The Springer was a different story,..she would run through briars to take a short cut,..perhaps that's why i imagine Foxy Molly will do likewise.

Your Cat and Whisper have the same habit of sleeping on something for a spell then desert it for something else,..i had a new TV and the box it came in was left in the hall,..that night all the cats moved into that box,..i also had a big Cat Cage which was left here by the Vet after doctoring the cats,..all the cats moved into that as well.

Found a strange looking stone?.