Oh my word! This looks awful ...

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,363
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

I hope the emergency services can keep themselves and others safe and that the damage isn’t as bad as it looks ... but .....
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,363
    Breaking news is that the main spire has collapsed 😢 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,011
    It reminds me of the dreadful fire at York Minster years ago. Hopefully everyone is safe.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,565
    My son proposed to his future wife on those steps.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,681
    Terrible news.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,169
    Awful   :(
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,894
    The second largest church in France, St Sulpice had the doors deliberately set on fire on March 17th. It appears to be part of a concerted attack on churches, however not much appears in the press.
    More than 10 churches have been hit since the beginning of February, with some set on fire while others were severely desecrated or damaged.
    In early February, in the Church of Notre-Dame-des-Enfants in Nimes, near the Spanish border, intruders drew a cross on a wall with excrement then stuck consecrated hosts to it.

From Brietbart

"The Catholic hierarchy has kept silent about the episodes, limited themselves to highlighting that anti-Christian threat and expressing hope that politicians and police will get to the bottom of the crimes.

Reports indicate that 80 percent of the desecration of places of worship in France concerns Christian churches and in the year 2018 this meant the profanation of an average of two Christian churches per day in France, even though these actions rarely make the headlines.

In 2018, the Ministry of the Interior recorded 541 anti-Semitic acts, 100 anti-Muslim acts, and 1,063 anti-Christian acts."

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,894
    I think the roof has gone now. I hope no one gets injured.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,011
    There were reports that the fire was dying down. That doesn't seem to be the case from the current pictures. 
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 448
    The fire is now being contained. The two towers look safe.