Creating wildflower-friendly grass patchwork

ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 201
Hi. I have a suburban back garden, running east/west with fences and a garage wall, laid to lawn with borders. I realise that a wildflower meadow as such isn’t viable but want wild and/or native plants to put into a patchwork of longer grass that will be allowed to grow for our planned wildlife garden.

(The photo was taken last August, and I’ve had the buddleia grubbed out (was damaging the fence) and tree trimmed, allowing more light in the east-facing fence and upper lawn area. I plan to plant fuschias there.)

I’d be grateful for your recommendations. Thanks. 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 338
    Look up what plants are good for your aspect/soil type, and put plug plants in? See my post, i tried to do this but the birds foot trefoil got a bit carried away.
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 201
    Thanks, both. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,899
    You need to remove as much grass as possible,it took me several years to get a wildflower patch going, I tried seed, none germinated, plug plants cost a fortune and eaten by slugs.  I have some pictures on this section last summer, dont know if they are accessable still, I have a little mini orchard inbetween my "normal" garden and veg plot, last year Hubby hired a turf cutter, removed the turf around the fruit trees, kept grass paths, and bought wild flower turf, the grass takes over every year, have tried the yellow rattle not one germinated.  Its ot cheap the wildflower turf, the first few sections I made the mistake of buying 80% grass 20% flower, last lot was 100% flower, but at the moment, its turned to 80% grass, I now grow my own plugs from seed, remove areas of grass to plant them, also a packed of seed which is going in today.
    I tried seed,plug plants (expensive and eated overnight by slugs) in the end I bought wildflower turf, but even last years which was 100% flower, no grass over winter the grass has taken over, tried the yellow rattle, not one seed germinated.
    new word that "eated"