How do I become a gardener in the UK?

Hey guys so here's my story. I worked at couple office jobs previously and realised office work wasn't for me, it made me feel very depressed. When I started volunteering outside the UK for gardening and at farms I realised I really love working and learning more about plants and doing gardening work. I love that gardening provided you with a great workout plus you get to be in the open space and create something for other people to enjoy. So how do I get involved with gardening works, I live in London at the moment. I would like to know what the career options are in the gardening industry and how I should start out to get a job.

Best regards.
«134

Posts

  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    Hi. If you're based in London you could register for a part-time course in horticulture and garden design at Capel Manor College, a good college. Do part time study for an NVQII in amenity horticulture at Capel Manor’s east London site. Good Luck! 
  • Achtung said:
    Hi. If you're based in London you could register for a part-time course in horticulture and garden design at Capel Manor College, a good college. Do part time study for an NVQII in amenity horticulture at Capel Manor’s east London site. Good Luck! 
    That would be great but I don't have the funds for it, is there any support available?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,809
    Some info re: Capel College here @mohamadabood
    https://www.capel.ac.uk
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,435
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AnniD said:
    Some info re: Capel College here @mohamadabood
    https://www.capel.ac.uk
    pansyface said:
    thank you, I will contact them now.
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    That's why I recommended a part time course mohamadabood, leaves you free to take up part time work to finance your study. Perhaps even get some paid work in the horticultural industry. Are you a UK citizen? 
  • Achtung said:
    That's why I recommended a part time course mohamadabood, leaves you free to take up part time work to finance your study. Perhaps even get some paid work in the horticultural industry. Are you a UK citizen? 
    Yes I have been living in London for 12 years now. Kannst du deutsch sprechen? I grew up in Germany :) you're right about doing part-time while working part-time, that's the best way to go about it if there is no finance support. I have emailed them now about potential apprenticeships. I want to become a garden architect in the future, is this the best way to go about it?
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 725
    The National Trust also run apprenticeships at many of their gardens. They are salaried posts.
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/careers-in-our-gardens
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    edited 15 April
    TBH I'm not the best person to ask about what's best for your future as I don't know you. Your tutors at college would be better placed to help you make a choice about your future... or family. Sorry, contrary to what my username might suggest, I'm not a German speaker. Glaswegian?  :D
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,435
    Lowland Scots dialect and German have many similarities.

    When my OH was a boy he was sent to work on a farm in East Lothian for the summer. The farmer told him to go and fetch “ a grate for the dog”. My OH thought the farmer had lost his marbles. It turned out that the dialect word for a bone is the same in Scots and German.



    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
Sign In or Register to comment.