Log roll edging

B3B3 Posts: 10,003
We have cleared some overgrown paths in the garden. They were under a few inches of soil. As a result, the beds are now higher and I want to stop the soil falling  back onto the paths.
I want to get log edging_ the kind that is like short vertical stumps. 
From what I can see, there are two heights. I'm thinking of going for the higher one.
There seems to be two main types. Flexible ones with pointed stakes at either end for securing it and I assume the middle bit rests on the ground.
The other kind is the rigid one that I assume you bury in the ground.
Can anyone advise me which is best?
The ground is pretty level so I assume they won't be bearing a lot of weight.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,629
    Personally, from experience l would go for the rigid ones that you bury in the ground, this type
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Easy-to-Fix-Timber-Border-Edging---150-x-1000-mm/p/158379
    This of course assumes you are going in a straight line !
    It depends on the amount of soil you need to hold back, but l would also go for the higher one.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,003
    There's a wickes down the road. So I'll have a look there. It might even be practical to mix the two. Thanks @AnniD
    No problem  :)
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,768
    edited 15 April
    Have you thought about reclaimed bricks? I would have thought a couple of courses would work out cheaper per m. If you're not an expert bricklayer you can just call it 'rustic' ;P
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,297
    IMHO those logs rolls always end up with weeds poking through the tiny, unweedable gaps.
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,003
    I don't really want brick. My husband was a P/T bricklayer so he could do it but I hate straight edges  . I actually want stuff to poke through and I don't mind a bit of Zen hand weeding. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,297
    B3 said:
    I don't really want brick. My husband was a P/T bricklayer so he could do it but I hate straight edges  . I actually want stuff to poke through and I don't mind a bit of Zen hand weeding. 
    I've found the gaps are so narrow , you can't "weed" them just pull the tops off and often stuff just comes back, eg buttercups
    Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,925
    Bear in mind it may not last long, B3, particularly if the soil is permanently damp.  One of the neighbours used log-roll as the edging to a raised lawn and some of the individual logs rotted through in less than 2 years.  It might be worth waterproofing the side in contact with the soil by stapling black plastic (eg DPC membrane) or painting it to extend its life.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,125
    I agree with Bob, it doesn’t last long, I used it when I first moved here, for quickness and easy, but it’s almost all gone now and just left the wire to catch on the strimmer! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn, you're right, the wired stuff doesn't last that long. The solid log roll in my garden has been in for nearly 5 years,  it was treated with preservative before we installed it and has soil right up against it.