Pebble pond in raised planter

Hi,
I'm new to gardening and forums but I hope people in here can give me some advise on both ☺
I am building a raised pond and will be building a planter with waterfall on the back of it (similar to the photo). My idea is to have that whole planter as the reservoir for the waterfall into the main pond, with the water being pumped on to a pebble bed, running into the planter which I hope to have some nice plants in gravel.
My concern is that the subbase/soil for the plants will make the water dirty and make the main waterfall and pond dirty. 

Has anyone got or done something like this, that would like to share advise on how to go about it? Or should I just keep it simple and pump into the waterfall reservoir and keep the planter as a dry bed?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,864
    edited 14 April
    Sorry, no photo visible. Click on the little icon that looks like a TV screen just above the box where you type a comment and follow instructions.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1010384/how-to-upload-a-picture-or-embed-other-media

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pgamwellpgamwell Posts: 9

Aha! Sorry, here is the photo.
    Good. Sorry to be a bit dim, but the planter is the long thin bit and the pond is the big bit, yes?
    😊 yes, that's right.
    Ok, and the ultimate aim of making the pond is to: Keep fish? Grow fancy aquatics? Admire oneself in the crystal clear water? Other?
    All of the above! 😁
    A few fish, some nice water lillies, and some nice shallow water pond plants in the planter with the waterfall.
     It’s a bit difficult to get an idea of scale from the photo. Can you say roughly how long, wide and deep the pond is and what it is lined with to make it watertight?
    The planter will be lined with underlay and 0.75mm PVC. My question is can I just fill the base with a sub-base and cover with gravel and plant straight into that? 
    edited 14 April
    I’m more concerned about the pond just now. 

Do you live in UK? If so, roughly where? 

I have three ponds in my garden and I want to help you get off to a good start with yours. I have encountered plenty of snags along the way with mine.
    edited 14 April
    OK, while you are out measuring it, here are some things to think about.

1. The pond is out of the ground. So it doesn’t have the advantage of being insulated from the weather by soil. So in hot weather the sun will beat on the sides and heat the water up. Surprisingly so. In the winter the frost will turn at least some of the water to ice. 

2. Hot water is not good for plants but it especially not good for fish. Ditto ice.

3. Ten years ago I bought six 2” long goldfish. Fish grow. They also have sex. I now have about fifty goldfish, the originals are now about a foot long. I don’t know the dimensions of your pond but I suspect that it is on the small and shallow side for fish.

4. If you want to keep fish and you live in UK you must protect them from herons. Even in towns. Herons are evil, cunning bas****s and will wait for you to go out before coming down to help themselves to your unprotected fish. I have come home to find a heron on my front doorstep, the pond beside the front door I thought was safe.

5.Fish also need food and then, after eating, they poo. This is fertiliser. So your aquatics might get out of hand and need to be chosen carefully.

6. The planter also stands the risk of being baked/frozen.