ADVICE I need a membrane or cover to stop ALL new growth?

Hi All

I am going to strim/kill of an area of brambles, weeds, horsetail. It is around 60m2.

I have a 5l tub of Rosate 360 which i'm going to mix 50ml/L as use a 10 litre (i've used a mates cheapy 20l backpack sprayer and it was rubbish, was easier to carry and then to heavy).

Once it is killed off i want to cover it so NO light gets through and no growth.

I am not sure whether good quality membrane would do this as it is usually covered with stones/bark...

I am pretty sure my builders supply does a 'black sheet' in 4m lengths BUT it is not water permeable and is only £1.50 per liner metre (4mx1).

Which should i use guys?? Will be down until next year when i plan to lay sandstone.

Cheers

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,343
    I think the sandstone is pretty impervious to light.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,228
    Afraid I can’t think of a membrane that will control horsetail and brambles (horsetail will force its way through tarmac) ... or a weed killer that will be effective following just one application. 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=257

I have heard that liming the soil will weaken horsetail and certainly it doesn’t grow around here where we garden on chalk. 

Good luck. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,017
    You will need to treat the area more than once for the brambles, as for the horsetail you will only weaken it. I would use heavy duty plastic the stuff builders use before they lay concrete floors, lift it after a month or so and retreat with weed killer if necessary.

To eradicate this lot will be a long process and I would not cover it with any stone or bark any time to soon.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,017
    After your sure everything is dead then a couple of layers of permeable membrane and two or three inches of stone hard packed down will probable work but no guarantees. 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,370
    You can put down DPM sheet or a cheap pond liner, but you need to have something hold it down well, or the wind will get under it and shred it. Some sort of wooden frame maybe, so you can lift it again to reapply the weedkiller. 

Or you could sheet it, poor a thick concrete base for the sandstone to go on top of next year and be ready for the brambles and marestail to come up round the edges.
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • roman-28roman-28 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies.

I have been doing some reading and repeated treatment with strong Glyphosate/Bayer stump killer bit fairy liquid to make it adhere MIGHT work after a few months/treatments.

I think i will treat it as many times as i can/until ALL is dead, then cover with DPM pegged down (i'll old welding rods from work..lol) and see how it goes.

When i actually come to lay the sandstone it will be on compacted MOT1 ,then 2 layers thick membrane, then stone dust then perhaps another 2 layers membrane and then slab on a 1.5"-2" full bed concrete.

I have never experienced this horsetail before!!! It's never ending and spreading!!

Cheers
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,285
    Over a period of several years I sprayed horsetails with high concentration Roundup (glyphosate) and covered it with weed barrier.  After 3 cycles of that the marestail is minimal, but as I said, it took years to get to that stage.
  • roman-28roman-28 Posts: 4
    KT53 said:
    Over a period of several years I sprayed horsetails with high concentration Roundup (glyphosate) and covered it with weed barrier.  After 3 cycles of that the marestail is minimal, but as I said, it took years to get to that stage.
    Oh gawd...Look like i'm in for some fun then!!! 

I even noticed a few shoots coming out of my block paveway!!!

The stuff is a nightmare!!

I read roots have been found 60ft down in some mine shafts as well.

Plus i know where it has came from/source....It was a tonne of top soil i had 2 years ago from my LBM!!!

Not happy, but i will not give up...

Cheers