If you could have planted something ten years ago...

Tin potTin pot Posts: 724
edited 13 April in Plants
...what would you have planted?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,370
    more trees to make a wider shelter belt. 
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,046
    Fruit trees and bushes, so I would be enjoying the fruit now.  In the five years I have had this garden, I have planted three apples, two cherries, a plum and a greengage, rhubarb, gooseberries, raspberries and currants.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,337
    wouldn't make any difference , I was living in a different house. 
    Devon.
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 268
    I would have planted roses. We have a few very mature ones in our garden and they are stunning, while the freshly planted ones are still too young. But for me too it is a rhetorical question as we only vought the house two years ago. Also there is a grape vine ca. 15 years old - stunning, robust and gives us some delicious grapes every autumn. And of course fruit trees.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,430
    Something that I did plant ten years ago and which I wish I’d planted twenty years ago, is a mulberry tree.

Ten years on and I’m still waiting...
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 189
    During the last ten years, I lived in five different homes (and this one is not a forever home either) but for the sake of the question, I would say a fruiting cherry. I love cherries and they are expensive in supermarkets and don't last long when bought.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,504
    Wisteria.
    More Acers.
    Eating apple trees.

Would I consider planting these now?
    Wisteria, probably not, in case we move.
    Acers - maybe more in pots (more is more).
    Eating apple trees - possibly. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,118
    Not so many things as I tried to squeeze in to my small garden...   :/  if it was food, my old ma would have told me my eyes were bigger than my stomach!
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 565
    Well we only moved this year but in general a walnut, they take so long to get going
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 900
    Acre definitely, but it would only been about 4 foot high after that time, I believe 
    Even now, I have a place in my garden where it would go.