Forum home Plants

If you could have planted something ten years ago...

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
edited April 2019 in Plants
...what would you have planted?

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 6,649
    more trees to make a wider shelter belt. 
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    Fruit trees and bushes, so I would be enjoying the fruit now.  In the five years I have had this garden, I have planted three apples, two cherries, a plum and a greengage, rhubarb, gooseberries, raspberries and currants.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,052
    wouldn't make any difference , I was living in a different house. 
    Devon.
  • I would have planted roses. We have a few very mature ones in our garden and they are stunning, while the freshly planted ones are still too young. But for me too it is a rhetorical question as we only vought the house two years ago. Also there is a grape vine ca. 15 years old - stunning, robust and gives us some delicious grapes every autumn. And of course fruit trees.
    Surrey
  • pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,907
    Something that I did plant ten years ago and which I wish I’d planted twenty years ago, is a mulberry tree.

Ten years on and I’m still waiting...
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,322
    During the last ten years, I lived in five different homes (and this one is not a forever home either) but for the sake of the question, I would say a fruiting cherry. I love cherries and they are expensive in supermarkets and don't last long when bought.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,984
    Wisteria.
    More Acers.
    Eating apple trees.

Would I consider planting these now?
    Wisteria, probably not, in case we move.
    Acers - maybe more in pots (more is more).
    Eating apple trees - possibly. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,025
    Not so many things as I tried to squeeze in to my small garden...   :/  if it was food, my old ma would have told me my eyes were bigger than my stomach!
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,674
    Well we only moved this year but in general a walnut, they take so long to get going
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Acre definitely, but it would only been about 4 foot high after that time, I believe 
    Even now, I have a place in my garden where it would go.