Replacing a lavender 'hedge'

I have a rather straggly lavender hedge which is now in its 3rd year and has never looked particularly good. Definitely a case of wrong plant for the location and I'm not sure whether to replace it with another plant, or just gravel it.

The site is north west facing and in the summer gets direct sun from mid-afternoon. During the rest of the year, it sees little or no direct sunlight. There's around 20cm of planting with between the patio and fence.

The soil is around 30cm of sandy soil (mixture of topsoil and building sand) on top of clay. As you can see from the pic, there is some algae on the fence and some moss on the soil's surface. 

Plant wise, I'm open to suggestions. It's next to a patio table so something with a bit of foliage or flower interest (and good for wildlife!) would be nice.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,932
    Eight inches wide isn't a lot to be growing perennials in. If you are open to growing something up your fence, that may be the way to go and fill the gap with summer bedding.  
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,617
    It is a very small gap, l agree that climbers may be the way to go. 
  • Nick74Nick74 Posts: 42
    Funny you should say that! I already have Clematis "madame julia correvon" in the ground (out of shot on the right of the pic) that'll be trained across the fence. 

I might just look to put annuals in that spot - probably some Nicotiana "Grandiflora" which I sow every year.