Bird feeding without seagulls

I live on the east coast of Scotland, I have recently tried to start feeding the birds as I back onto woodland.
However, the first suet ball feeder I put out, a metal spiral, the seagulls broke it.
I have waited a week for the seagulls to stop coming looking for more, but now at a lost as to which suet ball feeder would be good for the smaller birds that the seagulls won't break, or be able to gain access to.  
Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions
Melanie 

• B3B3 Posts: 9,771
    My dad made a little house thing. It was pitched roof on stilts. Under the roof, he attached tennis court wire to the posts from roof to ground level but leaving one bit 'hinged' for human access. He attached a horizontal bar inside from which to hang feeders.
    It lets small birds in and keeps crows out so maybe it'd work with seagulls. I doubt it would work with squirrels though.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • mellyphilmellyphil Posts: 2
    Thanks so much B3, I know someone who could build that for me.  I am not bothered about the squirrels, we have black, albino and red ones here so I actually enjoy seeing them!
    Appreciate this suggestion and will give it a go.  Wonder if anyone else has done this or similar?
    Have a good weekend 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,046
    We have the same problem here mellyphil - sea gulls attacking our bird feeders (especially the ones with fat based food like suet balls, starling bars and suet blocks).  The gulls even sit on the bird table roof bending their necks down to peck at the bird seed - they are such a nuisance (we get feral pigeons and magpies too which some people love but when they eat such a large volume of food at one go they become a pest to the little birds). My husband is very good at sending them on their way - the neighbours think we are nuts! Good luck.
    What a clever dad you have B3 - he has obviously got a DIY skill that doesn't exist in our household.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,208
    I have had to contrive several barricades around hanging feeders and a bird table, mostly made from plastic garden mesh, which lets in anything smaller than a blackbird, but keeps out the gulls, pigeons and corvids.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 451
    Where on the east coast are you? I'm in Carnoustie and had a lot of bother with crows last year.

Got a solution that worked though. Fat ball feeder is on the right-

I bought 2 of those protective cages, they're made by Chapelwood but having had a quick check they are no longer available. You can get similar thought and I would recommend it.

Crows were knocking the feeders off the hooks etc.

Had zero issues since.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,046
    That's a brilliant idea DH and one that I will have to think of purchasing - one peck from a gull and all his mates arrive to join in the party - free food!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,208
    The RSPB sells various designs of cages to use with feeders.  You can order online.