Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mice in greenhouse

So disheartened, how do I get rid of mice in my greenhouse. They have been eating my newly planted seeds.
thank you

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    Big Cheese mousetraps baited with peanut butter.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Try and find where they are getting in is the first thing, then block any obvious holes fit mesh over any ventilation, use humane traps then take them miles away if not and you let them go locally they will just come back, as a last resort get a cat or poison. 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,284
    I agree with @fidgetbones, traps and peanut butter. 
    The trap springs in a split second so , I'm pretty sure, a much more pain/stress free death than a cat or poison.
    Devon.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,293
    edited April 2019
    We have a problem with mice in the greenhouse - traps work but there are always more of the little b*#@ers  around to replace them.  To keep my seeds safe I balance the trays on pots so that there is an overhang (think of the principle of staddle stones .....mice can climb up vertical surfaces, but they can’t walk upside down)
  • Mousetraps definitely work. You can buy them ready loaded with bate and just place them strategically where you see most evidence of their activity - droppings, damage etc. I had to catch a mouse that (ironically) our cat caught and brought in to show off and use as a toy, but that managed to run away from him. Got a triple pack from b&q and it worked within a few hours. 
    Surrey
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    I found a family had set up home in my Wendy House. Aka my shed. One of the blighters had chewed a hole up or down into my shed. Nothing eats my lovely shed with impunity. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,597
    Mice are persistent little creatures aren't they.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    A mouse family has set up home in our compost bin....we haven’t the heart to rehome them but it’s making it difficult to turn the compost.  How can we persuade them to move without killing them?
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,625
    If you disturb the nest, then there is a good chance they will move. But be careful the next place could be worse.😁