Council verses angry home owner

A company that is working with our local council, are coming around and clearing the pavements of dust, rubbish and leaves. Yesterday they were doing along our side of the road, we have a small low wall outside our property. I grow aubretia, dianthus, snap dragons to name but a few in the wall. Now the aubretia was hanging over the wall (as it does). We get a lot of people walking by admiring it. The company have come along with a sharp cutter and chopped my aubretia away from the wall, leaving marks in the wall. They then had the audacity to sweep it up and just leave it up against my wall. They also cut some other plants of mine from the wall as well. I am absolutely angry, frustrated, annoyed, flabbergasted I could go on...………….. I have put in a complaint, not expecting to hear anything back mind you. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,565
    You might have to jump up and down and scream loudly at the Council and demand compensation for ruined plants, but...…. I think I'm right in saying that strictly speaking they could be classed as overhanging vegetation so the Council has the right to cut them back.  It will be interesting to see what response you get.  I expect it was just some poor person following orders to tidy it all up and took it literally.
  • Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 313
    Thank you Lizzie27 for your comment. This is the first time they have been seen sweeping along the roads. To be honest I have always had this like this for years, it is not on the pavement, and I would not let it get like that. It is my property, and I would not dream of doing that to even my neighbor, without speaking to them first. The world has gone completely mad with everything, I am sorry to say. I am not asking for compensation, it is just the actual way they did it, and damaged our wall!! 
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 960
    There's overhanging and there's OVERHANGING...........  I can't believe a bit of aubretia would make much difference to the passage of people.

The bus stop just down the road was practically obliterated by poorly maintained leylandii and we all had to shuffle round if anyone with a buggy or shopping bag came by as the pavement width was halved. Miraculously in April 2011 it was cut back by the Council. They returned same time last year and trimmed a bit more back. It is now brilliant for bus passengers and public alike.

The cynic in me can't help wondering about the dates and proximity of those royal weddings as we are on the car route from London to Windsor!
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,569
    I'd be tempted to enforce your complaint but first making sure that the wall is actually yours - ie showing up on your Title Deeds and that you are responsible for it.
    One of the problems is that Councils use various contractors to do their road/verge maintenance and the company involved just bangs on without a thought. They don't look at it from the point of view that it is attractive and enhances the overall look.
    If the wall is yours and it has been damaged, then you certainly have a case to confront your Council.
    I hope you have some luck :)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,150
    I would be furious too. I hope someone takes note.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    I know what you man @Jacqueline29, I was hopping mad like you last week when the verge outside our property was strimmed, including all the wild primroses on it!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 939
    They might be able to claim that they can cut back plants hanging over the pavement, but damaging your wall is another matter.  Hopefully this overzealous "tidying" was a one-off and the poor plants will get a chance to grow back. How do councils find the money for this kind of thing and at the same time claim they have to reduce  services like social care?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,011
    Have you contacted the contractor as well as the council Jacqueline?  I suspect Lizzie is right and they've just told their employees to tidy up, cut it back, and that's it. I doubt very much that, generally  speaking, they know a delphinium from a dandelion and just do what they are told. The damage to the wall is a different matter however.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,811
    There’s elections coming up, no?

Same thing happens along our lane.

You don’t see a road sweeper, a drain cleaner-outer, a bit of litter picked up by anyone other than the residents until, hey presto, they want you to vote for them.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Well, I'm not voting this year.