Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird box nesting?

Has anyone seen birds nesting in their nest boxes? By this time last year I had a pair of robins building a nest and had seen blue tits visiting another bird box, this year I haven't witnessed any nesting activity.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320
    2 boxes with blue tits here
    Devon.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,598
    I'm wondering if next doors dead tree falling down last week has disorientated the birds who may have checked the boxes out earlier in the year.
  • herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313
    I had a garden full of parents and baby birds the other day @barry island so I guess someone has been nesting. Happily the robins chose my storage shed this year as I felt unable to disturb them last year to get the mower out! I don't know why but that excuse sounded better in my head  :*
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,598
    Have the chicks fledged yet then?
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 331
    We've had 2 robins building a nest in the ivy on the back of the garage but haven't seen them much this week. Maybe they decided it was too close to my washing line or the magpies/cats have got to them.
  • herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313
    The robins seem to be on their second nest now, baby blackbirds still on the ground yesterday but haven't seen them today, some baby sparrows have flown the nest as well I reckon but I'm sure there are more to come.  There must be pigeon's eggs somewhere as there was a right comedy act on my lawn last week.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320
    We also have a blackbird and something smaller both flying in and out of a bay tree outside our sitting room window. I can't see it's big enough for them to share. I wonder which will give up first.
    Devon.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    we've had blackbirds and blue tits fledge already here
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,888
    Blue tits are sat on eggs in one box here, great tits are building a nest in another and the sparrows are busy stuffing my roof full of all kinds of cosy looking material. The robins and blackbirds have bsen carrying off beak fulls of mealworms so I assume they have their first brood of chicks to feed. Our season is a bit later up here and since we had snow last week I can't blame them.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,634
    Everything is still building here. Even the Robin who paired up in January is still defending not feeding.