Forum home Plants

Shrubs and Trees.. 2019

MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 7,435
If you are an avid photographer, please show your shrubs and trees for this year.. or previous years even...  preferably flowering at the moment or of significant interest right now... even if they're not in your own garden...

I realise there are gallery threads but they are for all sorts and I think it's nice to separate plants out somewhat.. 

I only have a few shrubs, and no trees,... but here is mine for today..

Ribes x odoratum…    scented of cloves and great autumn colour too... so much better than Forsythia..

East Anglia, England

• We are lucky to have the space for many trees and shrubs, and when in flower or new leaves opening they really are a joy to watch.  This Silver birch was planted last year and now has catkins which show that the tree is in good health.  I also planted the Forsythia last year too.  I will look out for your recommended Ribes Marlorena but I have an allergy problem with scented plants.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 7,435
    Thanks for showing GD...  I love Silver Birch's, wish I had room.. and Forsythia has its merits too because I used to have one that produced autumn colour, but never knew the variety... might have been Lynwood....
    East Anglia, England
  • Birches and willows are two of my favourite trees Marlorena - I love the relaxed look of the willow and the birches are loved by the birds, especially the tit family for their catkins. We have some very tall pines - we had 12 but are now down to four - planted to celebrate the year that my father was born.
    edited April 2019
    Oh I like them too.... I used to have huge willow in a previous garden and grew a rambling rose through it.. one of those pussy willows, never knew the botanical name exactly...  it has an open structure good for that purpose..

Euphorbia mellifera....  hardy with shelter to -12C or more.. this will grow into a small dome shaped tree if allowed, but it seeds here and there and so I replace quite often.. as late Christopher Lloyd once wrote ''young plants are so handsome''... and I agree..

Euphorbia x pasteurii 'Browns' seedling'... recently repotted..

This was DNA tested by Oxford student Louis Pasteur some years ago, and found to be 50/50 cross Euphorbia mellifera / Euphorbia styngiana..  Browns' is characterized by mahogany coloured foliage during winter and spring..

Griselinia 'Bantry Bay'... this has more rich green and yellow than the 'variegated' form.. which often looks rather pale and ill...
    Slightly more tender.. but has survived here for many years..

East Anglia, England
    Camellia 'Spring Festival'... .very useful for a small garden because of its narrow upright habit..  young foliage turns bronze very soon..

One of the reasons I rarely trust anything much from dearly beloved RHS these days.. I sent them a soil sample from this plant for ph testing... they came back with 8.1.. 

My own tests reveal 6.5...   what do you think?...
    East Anglia, England
  • NollieNollie Posts: 6,771

I am surrounded by evergreen forest, plus lots of specimen trees. Perhaps to counterbalance all the green, I have developed a bit of an obsession with purple foliage, all fairly young things, still:

Berberis Atropurpururea, slow-growing but should form a decent-sized shrub over time:

Loropetalum Chinensis Black Pearl, compact and hardy to -10:

Berberis Red Rocket, an upright shrub:

Cotinus Coggria Royal Purple, just beginning to leaf:

x

Lagerstroemia Purely Purple, will get more purple by summer:

Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • The blooms of the Bramley Apple tree we inherited in the garden. Lovely to have it. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    Thanks for posting these gorgeous shrubs Nollie... I love purple foliage too.. I'm going to post a couple here after yours in fact..  I tried Loropetalum but it didn't survive in my garden...
    I have a couple Berberis I love, as these are small front of border plants, so useful for their rounded habit..

Berberis 'Admiration'...

Berberis 'Bagatelle'.. I love the dark colour on this, it glows from a distance..

Pittosporum 'Tom Thumb'... I moved 2 of these last autumn.. one died unfortunately but this one seems ok.. I have to go get another one now..

East Anglia, England
    @amancalledgeorge

Sorry I posted mine after yours, I didn't see your picture there..  Love those apple trees and their flowers.. I used to have a cooker called 'Arthur Turner' it has the most wonderful flowers on it.. but I ran out of space for trees...

.. and if that's your garden and property in the background then all I can say I'd like to see a lot more of your garden. !... 
    East Anglia, England
  • It is the rest of the garden in the distance...will show a bit more when I'm a bit happier with everything. It's been a year since we did all the hard landscaping and everything is getting going...it was great having a mature tree to use as a focal point @Marlorena and to also make some nice apple crumbles last year. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow