Forum home Problem solving

Has my job been done correctly?

Hi All

Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

I've recently had someone landscape my garden by taking off the top layer of grass, level and re-seed.

The end result isn't great in my opinion - it is very stoney and when I walk around my feet sink in certain areas.  My expectation was that the soil would have been compacted and top soil added to cover the stones before seeding - was this unrealistic?

Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Regards

Rikki

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,989
    Hi Rikki, any chance you could post a couple of photos to give us some idea ?  :)
  • Here you go! :-D

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,596
    I guess there will be many ways to do this job depending on the contractor and price paid amongst other things but if it was my garden I would have liked the stones to have been raked off before seeding, also the ground to be level and firm to avoid dips and hollows. I remember many years ago doing a rush job on a small lawn for my own mother and it turned out looking like yours does, as I said I had to do it in a rush and the ground was very stony, the more that I raked it the more stones that turned up, it wasn't a very good job I'm sad to say.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,989
    edited April 2019
    Thanks Rikki . It does look very stoney from the photo and as barry island says, l would have expected it to be well levelled before sowing. My OH usually levels, then leaves it for a couple of days then levels again,  but obviously to a contractor, time is money. How long ago was it done? Any sign of the seeds germinating?  And (final question), was the contractor recommended by someone ? 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,252
    given the slide, is it paramount that it's perfect if it's going to be a playground?
    Devon.
  • AnniD said:
    Thanks Rikki . It does look very stoney from the photo and as barry island says, l would have expected it to be well levelled before sowing. My OH usually levels, then leaves it for a couple of days then levels again,  but obviously to a contractor, time is money. How long ago was it done? Any sign of the seeds germinating?  And (final question), was the contractor recommended by someone ? 
    It was about 10 days ago we had it done and no sign of germinating at the moment.  The contractor was recommended and in fact they had the same work done on their garden at the same time by the same person!  It looks like he hasn't quite done it all correctly - fingers crossed he is willing to resolve after I stupidly paid all his money!
  • Hostafan1 said:
    given the slide, is it paramount that it's perfect if it's going to be a playground?
    Whilst it is going to be a play garden, we still want it nice.  Also, lots of large stones isn't particularly safe!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,252
    Sorry, I didn't see the large stones.
    Devon.