Forum home Plants

Silver crest conifer...will it change colour ?

shadypmshadypm Posts: 68
Greetings...

I came across a lovely Silver Crest tree. I was drawn to it by its silvery green arms and purple tips. Will it change colour?
i am hoping it doesn't as all the images of trees I saw when researching were just green.

Is this one a different variety and has anyone seen this colour before?

Thank you...

• shadypmshadypm Posts: 68
    cannot load pic but it is a conifer 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    Hello shadypm

I assume that you're referring to Pinus pinea 'Silver Crest' ?
    Commonly known as the Stone-Pine in the Mediterranean where it originates .

Unfortunately it is not entirely hardy in the UK ; though OK in the milder parts .
    The silver leaved variety will retain its colour .
    If you have a greenhouse or conservatory , you could always pot grow it so it can be transferred into shelter when the weather is inclement (depending where you are of course) .
    Hello Paul B3

Thank you for replying.

I am in the east mids so it's milder than most of the U.K. I shall indeed pot it in a large pot as the plant is smal atm (1.5 ft). Then I can move it around :)

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    Same here shadypm ; am in Lincolnshire . The N.Sea contributes a certain degree of mildness at times (until the 'Beasts' set in) .
    I used to have a Pinus pinea (the green form) ; survived outside for several years until the extremes of 2009/10 when we saw several consecutive nights of around -14C with a severe wind chill .
    Oh well , I'll give anything a go ! :)
    Finally a pic
    Hello there... it has been a while. I have new findings. The pinus has started going brown. Possibly From too much water?
    It was doing well but as said by previous poster, they are not hardy to uk weather. I missed that bit before.

Any ideas are most welcomed.
  • Hello,it is a juvenil form of pinus pinea.It is not a special form of this species.It is just a businnes lie.It will change dark green in its 2nd-3rd years. In my country it can stand harsh winters,- 17 to  -20 celsius ,but not the juvenil form,just when it is adult form !!
  • Try it,not every tree will make it,but it worth to try.It can be so beautiful,and its seeds are edible(roast).