Forum home Problem solving

Acer Atropurpureum - Leaves not opening

London_gardenerLondon_gardener Posts: 11
edited April 2019 in Problem solving
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum so a big hello to everyone and thank you in advance for helping me troubleshoot my Acer.

I purchased an Acer Atropurpureum from a garden centre a week ago and the leaves are curled up and not opening. At the time, I didn't think anything of it and thought that these are new season leaves which have yet to open. The plant was kept outdoors under shade.

However, I visited my local gardening centre on Sunday and saw several specimens of the same plant with healthy, open leaves which were a beautiful shade of maroon, sort of what I envisioned my plant would eventually have. The plants were kept out in the open, under sun.

I went on Google today to look my plant up and saw that it s susceptible to a fungal infection which causes leave to curl up. So let me ask the experts here....what do you think the problem is....new leaves which have yet to open or some sort of infection? Pics attached.

Location is in London.

Thank you.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,858
    I take it you've potted it on since buying it? What soil did you use, how much bigger was the new pot than the old one and is there plenty of drainage in the pot?

It looks fairly normal to me for new leaves and mine aren't even thinking about leaves yet so it may be that the early spring has encouraged them to leaf early and they're just sulking in the cold weather now. Keep it out of any cold winds and not in too much sun later in the summer.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Mine are only just opening now. I think the garden centre/nursery ones are kept warmer under some protection and are thus slightly ahead. 
  • I take it you've potted it on since buying it? What soil did you use, how much bigger was the new pot than the old one and is there plenty of drainage in the pot?

It looks fairly normal to me for new leaves and mine aren't even thinking about leaves yet so it may be that the early spring has encouraged them to leaf early and they're just sulking in the cold weather now. Keep it out of any cold winds and not in too much sun later in the summer.
    Hello and thank you for replying to my post.

Yes, I have potted it on. The new pot is 32 cm, 15 litres and the old one was a small 9 cm, 3 litre standard nursery black plastic pot. The new pot had 4 holes at the bottom one on the centre of each running edge. I additionally drilled in a hole at the base, in the centre of the pot so 5 holes in total.

I have used Westland Ericaceous compost with John Innes.

Thanks for your advice. I will not panic at the moment and hopefully it will all be fine. No way that it could have gotten diseased or affected in any way at my house since I have only had it for a week. Also doubt that the garden centre would have let me buy it if they thought there was something wrong with it especially as I discussed this plant with someone there.

The only thing that got me thinking was that the leaves of my plant have not opened up yet and the ones in my local garden centre were looking magnificent. I have not grown an Acer before so was not sure if I need to worry.

Sounds good. The new pot is quite a jump up in size though so careful with the watering until it's had a chance to fill it out, they don't like to sit in wet compost but the stuff you've used should drain well. Give it a once over for aphids too as there are some that target the new growth on Acers.
  • Sounds good. The new pot is quite a jump up in size though so careful with the watering until it's had a chance to fill it out, they don't like to sit in wet compost but the stuff you've used should drain well. Give it a once over for aphids too as there are some that target the new growth on Acers.
    Will do. Thank you for your help!
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    looks fine to me, Acer leaves unfurl almost like they blowing up so they start out looking all limp but then fill out, just protect from frost at this stage if you can as the leaves are a bit delicate
  • Thank you for your comments.

One more question...so from the research I have done on the RHS and this website, it seems that this plant is ok in the sun/part shade which have varying effects on colour of leaves but should not be left exposed to winds which is more of an issue. Do you agree?

The reason I ask is because I have a nice spot for the plant in a container which is right outside my living room and I want to be able to look out through the glass patio door and see the plant. The location is sheltered from wind and is N/NE/NW facing so does get midday sun until it sets but important thing is that it is sheltered from the wind. I can move it but would rather not as the plant is small and will get lost elsewhere in the garden.

What do you guys think? Can I leave it where it is? Don't want to risk any leaf scorch so looking towards the experts since I have not grown this plant before :)

Thank you.
    I've found that the finer the leaf the more sensitive it is to wind. An established plant with broader leaf can take a bit more abuse. Like your plan I've got one outside the patio doors where the setting sun shines through the leaves in the Autumn and it looks great. It's a bit of an exposed place though, full sun in the afternoon it catches a bit of wind there. The plant does suffer a bit from dead stem tips but considering the extremes of weather we had last year it's survived well. My more feathery leaved ones are kept much more tucked away though.
  • London_gardenerLondon_gardener Posts: 11
    edited April 2019
    I've found that the finer the leaf the more sensitive it is to wind. An established plant with broader leaf can take a bit more abuse. Like your plan I've got one outside the patio doors where the setting sun shines through the leaves in the Autumn and it looks great. It's a bit of an exposed place though, full sun in the afternoon it catches a bit of wind there. The plant does suffer a bit from dead stem tips but considering the extremes of weather we had last year it's survived well. My more feathery leaved ones are kept much more tucked away though.
    Ok, good to know that. I am going to take a chance and not change the location as I really want it where it is. It gets about 4-5 hours of sun a day currently, including when it is at the sunniest/hottest. This will keep increasing as we hit summer. Hopefully it will be ok and not suffer from any damage to the leaves. Fingers crossed!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,042
    Very hot sun will dry up the leaves too, so you might need to move it if they start to go crispy in mid summer.
    In London. Keen but lazy.