Forum home Problem solving

Clematis montana

Is it possible to grow a Clematis Montana in a pot, I bought one to cover an old shed without realising the concrete base comes out beyond the shed & doesn't leave room for planting. I am thinking of putting a trough like pot by the side to grow it in, would that work?
In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    No. They won't thrive in pots. They become huge and you'll struggle to keep it hydrated and happy enough to do well.
    If you cant get it in the ground, it would be better to build a substantial container of some kind instead, to give it adequate room to develop a good root system.
    Something around 3 feet long, and at least eighteen inches to 2 feet depth and height would be enough for your needs. Some good soil with additional compost, and manure if you have it, to get it off to a good start. Keep it well watered.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    We have a Montana in a pot 12" square and 24" deep on our balcony in it's third year, need to be kept damp and we feed it every week now until it finishes flowering the one a fortnight until September, We were advised that it will eventually get root bound but when it does we will pass it on and start again.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • You are lucky HH.  Your pot is a decent size to allow for the clematis Montana to thrive.  We started off with a plug plant from the nursery which when established I planted in a pot (12"x14" deep).  The clematis thrived for the first year or two and then began to struggle to the point where we had to prune severely and  remove from the pot and plant in the garden.  It is touch and go as to whether it will thrive again. The picture shows the plant soon after we planted it in this pot.