too late for sweet peas?

In one of those eureka moments I have just realised that sweet peas would be the ideal thing for a particular spot that I am looking to fill, but then just as quickly also thought these are early sown seeds.
So is it too late to sow seeds in my unheated potting shed? or can I sow direct where they will flower? 
Owd.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254
    if your shed is bright enough, I'd sow them in there. 
    Devon.
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 74
    Thanks Hosta,
    It has polycarbonate roof so light levels not an issue, temp now is generally around 15 C in there and rising upto 24 C when sunny, so temp for germination should be fine too.
    Just wondered that I had missed the Sweet pea sowing window.
    I'll get to the seed dispensary this very day... 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254
    I've got more which I'll be sowing soon.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,199
    You can sow them direct any time this month [depending on your conditions] although that's best if sowing into pots rather than the ground, if you have heavy soil, and it's wet and cold.
    They don't need extra heat of any kind if sowing just now. They'll take two to three weeks to germinate, on average. They'll germinate quicker if they have a little protection though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I've not grown them before.
    I'm looking for a highly fragrant climber, preferably (tho not essential) white.
    Any particular suggestions of variety that I should look for?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,546
    It is not too late to sow sweet pea seeds, they will be a bit behind ones sown earlier, but will flower later as  well. Morrisons were selling 7cm square pots with about a dozen seedlings in , last weekend, if you wanted to risk splitting them.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,857
    April in Paris is white with a lilac edge and Juliet is cream flushed pink both highly scented apparently. I have had good rates of germination with both in toilet roll tubes no heat just a cool windowsill. Good luck! 
    Thanks all for your comments and suggestions
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,199
    Cathy is a creamy white - and very scented and floriferous.  I find Dorothy Eckford very reliable with a good scent, and both of those take some shade extremely well. 
    I find sweet peas perform better if not in full sun all the time, and we don't get it so hot as many areas, so don't be frightened to experiment a bit.

I had Juliet last year too which was quite good. 
    I had Jilly and White Frills a couple of years ago but they didn't do so well. May just have been a duff year though.

I'm growing Castle of Mey and Wild Swan this year for the first time [both whites] but they're only just starting to germinate, so can't comment on how good they are.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    I sowd some a few days ago in toilet rolls and put them near a radiator, a few have already germinated. As soon as they all come through, I'm putting them outside as apparently they then need cold conditions.