Not reading carefully enough

KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
I'm sure most of us have mis-read something and thought "What the.....", then gone back and read it again to discover what was really written.

I surpassed myself today by reading "We are bringing a 9 year old catholic in July. Does anyone have experience for eating out"  and naturally thought "What does being a catholic have to do with eating out?"  Reread the question and the word was actually 'coeliac'.  That'll teach me to be properly awake before starting to read.  :D

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,115
    I find it really helps if I have a few ☕️ ☕️ ☕️ and wear my reading glasses 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,856
    It also pays to check texts on auto-correcting phones, I once sent a text to a friend saying i'd meet them in North Ormesby (a town near me) in half an hour and got a message back asking if I thought she was superman as it had auto-corrected to North Mexico!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296
    signs on vans which say "shopfitters" read as shoplifters. 
    Don't even ask how I read the sign at the end of the driver for STITWORTHY FARM
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,628
    Why has the driver got a sign on his end,  Hostafan1?   :)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296
    AnniD said:
    Why has the driver got a sign on his end,  Hostafan1?   :)
    Well spotted. My cunning plan worked.  o:)
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    Hostafan1 said:
    signs on vans which say "shopfitters" read as shoplifters. 
    Don't even ask how I read the sign at the end of the driver for STITWORTHY FARM
    I always read shopfitters as shoplifters :D
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 4,490
    As a child I regularly passed a business whose sign said : Coryon   Shoplifters . I used to wonder why they  were advertising their dishonesty  so blatantly. 🤣
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,477
    edited 9 April
    We used to have an ice cream van round our way that displayed that it was from Lumb's Diary.  
    I didn't notice until it was pointed out to me. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    Best mis-spelling I've seen was on holiday in Turkey a few years ago. The place we were staying was small and quiet but did let 'outsiders' use the pool.  One day a right bunch of oiks came in so we went back to our apartment, which overlooked the pool.  Most of the oiks were heavily tattooed, including the women,  one of whom had her beloved's name in gothic lettering about 3" high across the small of her back.  Either his parents were dyslexic, or they couldn't spell "Keith" as it was "Kieth" on her back.  For some reason that cheered me up no end.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 765
    It's like the signs from a few years back, "NO PARKING POLITE NOTICE".