Sunflowers- how do you grow yours?

Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 411
Started mine off in small pots (6.5cm) and sure enough, only after having sowed them, I read an article about it being best to sow them directly because of their tap roots.

I've just transplanted a lot of them into the flower bed, the roots hadn't got too congested but it's clear to see just how the roots mainly go straight down rather than spreading through the pot. 

Got plenty of seeds left anyway, curious to see how the transplanted ones do this early in spring. Might try and sow them in the taller 9cm pots that the 'cottage garden perennials' are sold in next.

• jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 312
    I transplanted lots of sunflowers seedlings last year from pots into borders and they grew fine. I did sow some directly also which were a bit behind the ones i got a head start in pots. It was Sunflower Vanilla ice only though which is my favourite  :)
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 533
    Chucked a few seeds straight in the ground plus a couple of back ups in pots. Will transplant them somewhere once I can decided on an appropriate place.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,924
    I tried them in toilet roll tubes one year and that worked well.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,156
    It's ok to start sunflowers off in pots. They a hardy annual and should be ok in the ground now. I planted some out a few weeks ago.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 411
    Hopefully the slugs stay away.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 411
    I put a few pellets down as I don't have enough empty plastic bottles to butcher.
    edited 23 April
    Finally! A few weeks later and one of the seedlings has popped up. I'm so impatient, I was wanting to declare them a failure and dig them up to re-use the soil. There's another 1 in this pot, but the other 3 that went straight in the ground haven't done anything yet. More waiting...
    I wonder if this one will be 6ft tall by the end of the summer?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,276
    My seedlings (and sunflower adults) get so attacked by slugs that I don't think a single one would make it if I directly sowed.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,543
    Ive just sown mine, I make paper pots, deep, then the whole lot gets planted out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

edited 24 April
    Second one in the pot popped today! Too wet to check the ground planted ones. I have hope. Haven't really seen any slugs round here but they are sneaky wee things so who knows.
    @Lyn - is this because it's too risky to disturb the seedlings from a pot? I could've done mine in toilet rolls. Still, got more to plant, not too late for more.
    Reckon I could plant some in a lawn?