Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildflower or Weed?

bury_robertbury_robert Posts: 18
edited April 2019 in Wildlife gardening
Hi All. Excuse any ignorance I may show but I am very new to looking after a garden and plants. I am trying to create a wildflower patch on the front of my terraced house in the small plot area we have. Last Autumn I threw out some seeds and now have some greenery to show for it. I am having great trouble in identifying what is a common weed and what is a wildflower and wondered if any of you green fingered friends could help me? I will post a few pictures of certain growths that I have.

5. Surely a weed right?
6. the small one in centre

7. All the little bits?8.

• bury_robertbury_robert Posts: 18
    edited April 2019
    Deleted comment
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    There is not really a class of plants called weeds, and most gardeners define a weed as a plant growing where it's not wanted.  So any plant can be a weed, such as the random potatoes that still keep appearing in my flower border which was formerly my veg plot.  The choice is yours, keep them if you like them, if not, pick them out and bin them, preferably before they go to seed, otherwise you'll have their offspring appearing next year.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070
    edited April 2019
    Top one is hairy bittercress. You don't want it. I've seen it growing in a bucket of water and a pile of sand. Bottom one looks a bit like a cornflower.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 168
    The last one is a cornflower.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    1) Hairy bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta) (get rid)
    2) ?
    3) looks like a Plantago (plantain) (get rid)
    4) Opium poppy
    5) poppy of some type, possibly a poorly 4.
    6) more poppies of a different type, strap-like leaves look like bluebell
    7) can't tell, but lots of poppy seedlings in there growing through what looks like more bluebells
    8) possibly cornflower

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Wow cheers everyone. Appreciate the comments so far. 

Time to start pulling out some of those bittercress  :)
  • I note that number 2 the short thin leaved one, had little hoops that were spiralling around neighbouring plants if that helps anyone?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,439
    I think no 2 is a vetch, in the pea family. They have little tendrils that wind around. It's a wild flower in a meadow but a weed in a formal flower border.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I think no 2 is a vetch, in the pea family. They have little tendrils that wind around. It's a wild flower in a meadow but a weed in a formal flower border.
    Yep, that was in the seed pack. So it must be 'tufted vetch'. I'll leave that one then 😉👍
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,327
    wildflower or weed is a very fine line  :)

for example no.3 which could be a narrow leafed plantain. If it is, it's a very useful plant because it's roots have a particularly high mycorrhizal fungi 'content' so you can use the roots chopped up to help new plants get established, just like the expensive powder you can buy in the garden centre.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”