I like ....

...weeding! Especially by hand, or with a hand fork. I have decided it's one of my favourite garden tasks. Yesterday I weeded my raspberry beds and now they look all tidy and healthy. Unlike some garden jobs, weeding gives instant results - no waiting around to see whether things germinate, grow, live or die. And somehow I just find the whole process very satisfying.

Anyone else got a favourite task?

• B3B3 Posts: 7,935
    I find it therapeutic. It's a mindless task so you can let your thoughts wander down untrodden paths. I wonder why....... What if ........?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,255
    edited 7 April
    I too love hand weeding.
    Often pass other peoples gardens and am just itching to get in there with my little fork..... :)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,491
    Mowing and edging the lawn (I'm a lawn person, not a grass person).  If my lawn is neat then the whole garden looks good, even the wildlife area.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 728
    Thought I was the only mad one who gets pleasure from weeding! My favourite job. Wouldn't have admitted it before.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,159
    I like weeding to, kneeling  down is the best position for my back, curves  the spine and opens up to let the trapped nerves ease a bit.  I fling the weeds out and OH rakes them. 
    Grass I can’t do now or strimming OH keeps the grass really nice. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,695
    I really think my compost corner gives me as much satisfaction as anything else.  I'm somewhat slack about "maintenance" gardening, such as weeding, pruning, mowing and dead-heading, so my garden always looks scruffy.  I prefer working on projects, sowing and planting and moving stuff around.
  • oooftoooft Posts: 116
    I think i don't like and struggle to motivate myself to do it but when i've started i can't get enough of it! It is so very satisfying
  • ImpatientGardenerImpatientGardener Posts: 92
    I like hard pruning. Must be the destroyer in me. 

I like the results of weeding, just not the actual hours of weeding work. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,273
    I like hard pruning too - so satisfying to survey the necessary destruction before being vindicated when things regrow better. Savaging shrubs as my OH describes it. I am a bit nervous of my pyracantha hedge though, cut it back really, really hard to try and encourage regeneration from the base. Looking like a row of sorry bare stumps just now. I will be in deep doo dah if it doesn’t grow back  :/
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,169
    Just heading out to savage the buddleia, for all you hard pruning fans out there. And that will be followed by some therapeutic hand weeding, if the rain holds off.  :)
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell