Hi all, I have worked as a greenkeeper for the last 20 years and just this month I have opted to start my own gardening business. I have been building up clients in the evenings for few years. However now I need to think about insurance! I wondered if anyone has any suggestions about good companies that offer suitable insurance for professional gardeners.... Thanks in advance


  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,087
    google "public liability insurance" and see what pops up. 
    Unless you're doing tree felling / chainsaw work or other high risk stuff, you probably don't need it . 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    If you run it as a business then you are required by law to have liability insurance and I would highly recommend it accidents can/ do happen and people get sued unfortunately people seem to be out for what they can get these days. 

    "You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,639
    NFU Mutual used to be good for that sort of thing. I have no recent experience but I would think they’re worth checking out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

  • Yeah I will need public liability as will be spraying chemicals etc (yes I have the qualifications). I will have a look at nfu. Just seems a lot of the ones I am looking at don't cover me for the chemicals or for tools in the shed. 
    Thanks for the input. 
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,502
    MrJ.   Take a look at SB insurance.  Just up your street I’d imagine.  A landscape insurance company, plus public liability, employee indemnity insurance, the lot.   0333 014 6683
Sign In or Register to comment.