Forum home Problem solving

Help! My lawn is infested with couch grass

SammymummySammymummy SurreyPosts: 192
I have started hand digging but soon realised it will spread faster than I can remove. So I've thought of 3 solutions:
1. lift the lawn turfs, level and re-turf
2. kill the entire lawn (approx 6x8 metre) using weedkiller and re-turf
3. same with option 2 but re-seed

Since I garden on my own with no help, I don't think I can undertake option 1) without getting professional help. So I am thinking of doing option 2) or 3) myself and would like to ask you for advice.

Which weedkiller will kill couch grass and its root system completely?
Will the weedkiller affect the subsequent grass/crop?
How long do you have to wait before re-turfing or re-seeding?
Do I need to remove the top layer after all grass is dead before re-turfing/re-seeding?

I'd really appreciate your advice.
Many thanks
Lydia

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,941
    You would need to remove the old lawn and make sure all the couch grass roots were removed, then prepare the ground before either turfing or seeding. To be honest I think I'd just keep mowing it, and dig out any that spreads outside the lawn area. But I'm not bothered about having a perfect fine lawn, as long as it's green and fairly smooth.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,537
    Couch grass will not stand repeated mowing unlike meadow grass which evolved with grazing animals. Don't cut lawn too short (take off no more than 1/3 each time) but do it regularly at least every week twice if it grows enough. The couch will die out & the other grass will thicken up.
    AB Still learning

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,051
    I agree. Just mow it and keep a watchful eye on the edges to stop it escaping into your borders. No need for drastic measures.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • SammymummySammymummy SurreyPosts: 192
    Hi
    Thank you so much for your advice. I think they somehow came to my lawn and spread during the hot spell last summer when I didn't mow the lawn for months.
  • SammymummySammymummy SurreyPosts: 192
    Hi @WandaBlakeWvH
    I just use a lawn mower and cut the edges with a pair of shears twice a year. My lawn is only about 6 x8 metres so it is do-able. If your lawn is large and there are many hard-to-reach corners then I guess a trimmer would be very useful.
  • Well, I face this problem too.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,384
    Plenty of info if you read the thread @clyd2222ybMXRhaD
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....