Forum home Plants

Plant ID, early flowering perennial

Since moving into my house a couple of years ago this small perennial starts flowering around February, in a semi shaded spot. Stays in flower for quite some time. Any ideas what this is? As I'd love to get a few more.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,768
    edited April 2019
    Hello strit200. Its a primula. It can be easily dug up and divided and you'll end up with lots. They also self seed all over the place so look out for tiny seedling leaves that look similar to the parent plant. There is one seedling showing in your picture - top left close to the paving slab. There is another 'baby' in the crack of the paving slab at the bottom of your picture.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hi Ladybird4, thanks very much for the detailed information. I would have just assumed those small seedings were weeds and cleared them out! I'll be carefully lifting them this weekend and pot them up, ready for a new home in the garden. :)
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,768
    Just look for the crinkly leaves, The first tiny leaves tend to be a little bit more rounded in shape than the true leaves that grow next, and these are more easy to recognise. Enjoy!
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable