Lidle Grandiol compost

within 24 hours of use, the entire surface of every single item id used it for, was covered in thick white fungal hair. it also smelled odd almost like rotting meat.
anyone else found this.... ??? your cure /ideas welcome.. 

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,779
    Hello ,I found the same issue last year and stopped buying it. I continued using it and it didn't do any harm. I realised it's a false economy as the bags are smaller and with the better stuff in garden centre's you usually have an offer like three for the price of two. But all my plants were none the worse for using it, the smell decreased and disappears. Best of luck 😊
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    edited 6 April
    I have used it before and again 10 bags this year with no issues, although the bags are only 40lt they were still the best buy even at three for two offers available at the time.

I use mine for vegetables from seed to end of life adding liquid or dry fertiliser as required after about six weeks or as you would with any grow bag or pot etc

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,546
    I bought one in desperation a couple of years ago.  I found blue plastic and a six inch nail in it.  I sieved it to give me half a bag of usable compost, the rest was only fit for mulch, I produce finer stuff out of my compost heap. I would not buy again.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I've had similar experience with much more expensive composts @fidgetbones I think if your unlucky and get stuff from the bottom of the heap all the larger / heavier stuff works its way down there and you end up with bits off wood lumps of clay and all sorts of rubbish in some bags.
    They tell us its all sieved etc but I do some times wonder 😕

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,653
    edited 6 April
    I had used Levingtons for several decades until they started 'enriching' it with waste products. I have found bits of glass, plastic etc etc and I stopped using it about 4 years ago.
    Since when I've bought Bord na Mona Grow Wise MPC enriched with JI (3 x 50L bags for £12) absolutely lovely stuff and cheaper than Levingtons.

PS - I wouldn't be concerned about the fungi on the compost - it'll vanish in no time.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 326
    The worst compost I have ever used was B&Q own brand general purpose in yellow bags. Very coarse and full of rubbish like pieces of plastic etc. Ruined a few of my plants 😡
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 762
    I use lidl seed and peat free compost, it doesn't stop the plants growing and is no worse than any other compost that I have bought. I have never encountered mouldy growth but have had a few tiny pieces of plastic and some glass so it's wise to wear gloves.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 653
    I use garden soil mixed with leaf mould, and find it excellent, for small seeds the compost is fine riddled, have lettuce, runner beans and peas in the glasshouse now looking good started the onion sets in the same mix now planted out and growing well, most of the containers have the same mix, and season long fertilizer, with just a boost now and again of Tomorite.
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 212
    Like all the above comments i have found rubbish in bought compost of several makes so some years ago  like cornelli  I started making my own from 4 shovels of sifted soil 2 shovels of leaf mould and 2 shovels of peat It works brilliantly
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,986
    The problem with using your own soil, however you mix it, is that you will get weeds growing.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand