Life after decking

Ne1lNe1l Posts: 23
Hi Folks
Ive just removed a raised decking that was taking up half the garden. It was under 2 large tree against a wall. The area is often in the sun until the trees block out the light in the later afternoon. Any suggestions would be great. Probably get a seat for in between the trees. Tempted just to put a lawn there :) Will also be looking to replace the hut as its half rotted  :/  

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,627
    Quick first comment is to bear in mind that the trees will hoover up any moisture, so a lawn would struggle (l could use the expression "artificial grass" but you didn't hear it from me and normally l wouldn't advise it). Seating area is a lovely idea. You could go for scented plants such as lavender and honeysuckle.  :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,224
    edited 5 April
    Shame on you Anni :o
    A dry sunny area might be better suited to a gravel garden with scented plants as Anni suggested and other Mediterranian type plants. Maybe a small pond or water feature too?
    It looks like the soil level is now too low around the trees though. Was there a container around them before? You may need to box them in and raise the soil back up.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,251
    I'd agree with w.edges about the trees. If you can construct a new box round them it will keep them right. It would also become a seat if you make it broad/deep enough.

I'd go for some climbers against the wall and fence, and then a gravelled area with more planting - either directly into the ground, or in pots. You can vary that according to the time of year etc. The ground will need a bit of attention before planting too. 
    You could also give the wall a coat of paint according to your own taste. Perhaps toning with the gravel  if you go down that route, and the pots, to keep everything harmonious  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ne1lNe1l Posts: 23
    Many thanks for all your quick replies. I forgot to ask. There is a lot of compacted vegetation around the roots of the trees. Should I remove this and dig it into the soil or compost it? Thanks again!!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,627

I know, l don't know what l was thinking !  :blush: Too early in the morning and only one cup of tea is my excuse.
    @Ne1l personally l would dig it out and put in on the compost heap, give it a chance to rot down with the heat. Being a nosy person, any chance of photos as the work progresses?  
    A dry sunny area might be better suited to a gravel garden with scented plants as Anni suggested and other Mediterranian type plants. Maybe a small pond or water feature too?
    It looks like the soil level is now too low around the trees though. Was there a container around them before? You may need to box them in and raise the soil back up.
    I can see what you mean regarding the roots. There were very poorly constructed boxes around them. Half rotten away. Im sure i could use some of the scrap wood and recreate then. Ive a lot to choose from!! 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    A dry sunny area might be better suited to a gravel garden
    It would be ideal for that area, but remember that cats tend to view gravel as a giant litter tray.
    I had another look at the trees. The Garden was redesigned/destroyed 5 years ago before we moved in. Looking at the garden compared to the others it lays at the same level so I don't think any soil has been removed from the base of the trees. But then again....
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,244
    If the newly exposed soil level is roughly the same level as your neighbour’s garden, could it be when they constructed raised decking and boxed the trees in they filled in the boxes with soil and artifically raised the soil level around the trunks? If thats the case, its amazing the trees survived that treatment and the question now is, is it better for the trees to brush the soil away from the trunks or raise it up again by constructing new boxes? I don’t actually know the answer to that btw, but hoping someone else might!
    Hi. Tried to find pictures of the old decking, which I did. Also found images that I mocked up of a new garden. Over 4 years ag:D. I knew I was a procrastinator but this one takes the biscuit.