COMPOSTING

VivienVivien Posts: 27
I usually compost my kitchen waste and soft garden waste but would like some ideas of other things I could compost. Heard recently about adding wool jumpers and old cotton Tshirts. Anybody know of anything else slightly out of the ordinary?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,894
    edited 1 April
    Egg boxes, cardboard ripped into strips and wetted, junk mail, it can all be composted.
    Also hair sweepings from the hairdressers, and bits of toe nails when you cut them.  They all rot down, some slower than others.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,695
    I put all our newspapers and junk mail through an office shredder, good for mixing with mown grass. Not far from home there's a big patch of nettles which I harvest twice a year.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,681
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,750
    I have got 2 large compost bins, plus an 8th of an acre garden, we have 2 newspapers a day, plus garden mags, in so in a week the re-cycle bin is full, quite a bit of carddboard from packaging (plants thru the post!)we have a shredder, and one for the trees, and the council bin is full and goes out through out the year, every week, so I only compost kitchen waste (uncooked) some of the grass cuttings, there are too many and copost gets too wet.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,750
    council bin every TWO weeks, hubby cut down brambles and crap encrouching from next door, even shreddied it filled the bin.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,897
    The thought of finding toe nails and sweeping them up to use in composting. barf! 
    The thought of finding one when spreading compost, or working at soil level Barf!!
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,159
    I get newspapers, boxes, food cartons from other people, scrunch them up is best, any old office work, junk mail all gets put in, if the snow clears I’ll go up and take a photo of our bins.🥶
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 583
    I know that they say anything that has lived will eventually rot but wouldn't wool and cotton e.t.c. take years to rot down? I recently emptied a plastic dalek bin which I composted weeds, docks, coochgrass, nettles, bindweed, e.t.c. this had rotted for between two and three years and it had become soil like with no sign of any of the weeds which were originally added. I now have four of these dalek's so the rotting time will now be between three and four years.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,729
    A lot depends on the conditions moisture heat aeration etc. Yes most things will rot eventually, but think I heard recently that human  hair is virtually indestructible, so I would be careful about using too much of anything like that. Wool compost is a well known old recipe (there is a company making it commercially again).
    AB Still learning

• guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 128
    What's the view on throwing cooked food in an open compost heap, ie a half finished plate of spaghetti bolognese (as an example)?

I assume this would be good for compost but is doing this likely to attract vermin?