Forum home Plants

Geum - Dead or Alive??

CraighBCraighB Posts: 719
Hi guys, I have a Geum and I don't know if it is dead or not? It does have very slight new shoots on a couple of the brown bits but that's about it. Are Geums supposed to look like this with dried up crispy brown bits?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 26,992
    that does not look good

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 719
    Lol I thought that too!
  • Yes, hate to admit that looks very poorly. My geum from last year has a very full clump of leaves, but perhaps give it another couple of weeks & see if anything stirs.
    When you cut into one of them brown bits though there is some green inside so who knows. But I agree it does look very poorly! It's a shame because it was beautiful last year when it flowered. It is/was Geum Mai Tai.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,823
    My geums don't look much better if that's any consolation!
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    And do you think yours may be dead too Lizzie?
    And do you think yours may be dead too Lizzie?
    Not sure yet. I watered them all yesterday as we haven't had any rain for a fortnight and it's been warm, so will check in a few days time. Some perennials seem to be a bit slow and others have jumped the gun a bit.
    Not sure yet. I watered them all yesterday as we haven't had any rain for a fortnight and it's been warm, so will check in a few days time. Some perennials seem to be a bit slow and others have jumped the gun a bit.
  • LynLyn Posts: 21,402
    edited April 2019
    That looks dead to me, mine have buds on them now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.