Shrub for small sunny bed against a wall

WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,640
edited 31 March in Garden design

I'd like a nice medium sized (4-5ft) shrub to go behind the chair. The bed is sunny and has good soil but not very deep - you can only dig about a spade and a half depth before you hit hardstanding! I'm thinking of Hydrangea 'Annabelle' but not sure if the conditions are ideal. I can water it well - the tap's just round the corner. 

Last year I grew a scruffy mess of Luzula, Thalictrum delavayi, Miscanthus, and Verbena in the bed; and Tricyrtis formosa has managed to grow surprisingly well there. 

The thought of forgetting about shrubs and growing cannas has also occurred to me; I just think I need something with height and solidity.

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    What about a lilac, or a dwarf lilac, perhaps a philadelphus? They’d give a lovely scent in the summer. If you want structure rather than flowers then a yellow variegated evergreen would work well with the yellow of the euphorbia- perhaps a euonymus? I’d also be tempted by something like trachleospermum to climb up that wall and continue with your alliums, or annual displays in front.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,786
    Chaenomeles (sp?)
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,640
    Liking the idea of dwarf lilac ('Palibin'?)
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,099
    A wall trained Pyracantha shrub can add evergreen height and year round interest.
  • ju1i3ju1i3 Camden Town, LondonPosts: 175
    Ceanothus
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 456
    Hebe Great Orme?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,535
    edited 3 April
    Cytisus battandieri ... the Pineapple scented Moroccan Broom ... semi-evergreen soft grey-green leaves, beautiful scented golden blooms through the summer ... perfect against a warm sunny wall. Love it 😍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks all. Pineapple broom... something I've always fancied growing! Hmmm
    Coronilla valentina 'Citrina' might be more in scale with the space though (and wintering flowering as a bonus)? Never grown it but seen it in front gardens. Could train it on the wall and stick some rosemary in front...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,535
    WillDB said:
    Thanks all. Pineapple broom... something I've always fancied growing! Hmmm
    Our ‘local’ had one trained against a wall in the idyllic beer garden overlooking the bowls green. The scent on a sunny Sunday afternoon was to die for. 💕 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh