Advice needed on gooseberry

I am considering a gooseberry Bush could anyone recommend a good variety that you can eat straight of the Bush and that is tasty  

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,337
    Pax is a very good red variety and has the advantage, as its name suggests, that it is thornless.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,662
    edited 31 March
    We grow Hinnonmaki Yellow ... a great dessert gooseberry https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Gooseberry_Bush_Hinnonmaki_Yellow/

We pick about a third of the fruits while they’re still green and use them for cooking, leaving the remaining fruit to swell and ripen so that they are juicy, sweet and golden. 

You have to deter the blackbirds tho ... we put seaside windmills in the soil around them and the blackbirds wont go past them. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 506
    Thank you for your input 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,727
    My arms are really scratched up today after some minor maintenance to my gooseberry bushes yesterday so thornless is recommended. I can't tell you the variety since I grew them from cuttings taken from a bush that was planted by my dad before I was born and his memory hasn't lasted as well as the plant has. Grow them in as much sun as you can though to be able to eat them from the bush.
  • Jason millyJason milly Posts: 506
    I have bought Hinnonmaki Yellow

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,662
    👍 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh