Forum home Problem solving

What has done this to my tree?!

Can anyone tell me what has done this to my poor tree? Some kind of tunnelling beetle? Should I be worried about other plants nearby and is there anything I can do to stop it? (Obviously this one's a goner.)

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    Do you know what type of tree it is @Adstid ?
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Adstid Maybe squirrels do you have any where you are, it does look as if it's been chewed. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    Squirrels or deer?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    I’ll put money on it being deer. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057

WHY DO SQUIRRELS STRIP BARK?

No one is sure why squirrels remove bark but there are several possible reasons:

1. Collecting soft material to use in nest building.
    2. Looking for food or additional nutrients in bark. For example, red squirrels like to clip branches of maples to get to the sweet sap.
    3. Pregnant females may strip bark prior to giving birth as a distraction from the pain.
    4. Just because they can and because they like to do it. Squirrels like to gnaw and for bored squirrels, stripping bark might be like popping bubble wrap for people.

If you have one or two squirrels or another animal that is damaging your trees, give Colonial Pest a call. We humanely trap and remove nuisance wildlife.

• AdstidAdstid Posts: 78
    My initial thought was deer damage but it's much too high for muntjac, which are the only kind we've had in the garden so far. When I looked more closely I could see those little holes (more obvious in the second photo I posted) - I thought they might have something to do with it (a la viburnum beetle) - but I guess probably that's something separate. Certainly there are squirrels around. Such a shame. As for what kind of tree it is, your guess is as good as mine. I'm not that good at identifying trees when they've only got dead leaves on them! Possibly a beech or close relative?? l know it's pretty bad not to know what trees I have in the garden, but it's 3 acres and this is tucked away in a corner - has been quietly doing its thing but unfortunately only caught my eye when I saw the damage!