Radio

I need to buy a new radio to use whilst gardening - any recomendations?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,476
    Depends if you want DAB or are happy with FM . I only have a mains one in my greenhouse,  but for battery powered, this is the good cheap one that my dad uses
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8587446
  • blodynmenynblodynmenyn Posts: 12
    Thanks. Not bothered about digital channels, but want one that is clear and fairly loud,so I can hear when I move round the garden . Was considering a wind up one ?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,850
    A friend of mine in Belgium has a baseball style hat with built in radio that can get Radio 4 long wave.  No idea what make or model but clearly easy to use and gets carried around with him, hands and cable free.   

Google "baseball hat+radio" and you'll find a few models.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • blodynmenynblodynmenyn Posts: 12
    Thanks both. The Duronic one looks good. Perhaps I will try that .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,608
    edited 1 April
    We have a Duronic wind up radio ... the sound quality isn’t the greatest ... quite tinny ... but it works, and recharges well when left indoors on a windowsill. 

I wouldn’t want to inflict my radio on the neighbours tho ... I used to use a small one that slipped in my pocket and used headphones when working outside. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,807
    I agree Dove I would never play a radio in my back garden but I live in the suburbs and have a small garden surrounded on all sides by other gardens so keep the noise to a minimum. Luckily my neighbours are all considerate too. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,943
    Not nice to inflict on neighbours, and what’s wrong with bird sound, nothing I like more than to just work in the garden listening to the natural sounds.

My ex made a devise that would turn radios down, so we couldn’t hear them,  would be funny to watch them, or listen, they would keep turning them up until they’d run out of volume. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 745
    I love listening to the radio when working in the garden and never have it loud enough for anyone to hear apart from me. I generally only listen to BBC radio 4 on FM but the reception isn't that good when at the back of the house, around the side in the carport it's not too bad if the radio is set up and not moved around. I have one of these https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5066661 which eats batteries but is nice and small. I've looked at loads of radios but reading the reviews none seem to be without their faults.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,608
    That looks ideal @barry island  ... you can use it with an ear piece, very similar to one I used to have when at art school ... think it's probably still there :s
    I may have to get another one ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh