Bird help

Good afternoon.

Two long tailed tits have been flying repeatedly against the windows of both the shed and garage. They have done so at least on 15 different occasions, each time flying from a nearby tree to the window (repeatedly), gently flying against the glass as if to push through. I was thinking that they’re looking for a place to nest, but I’ve read that they prefer thorny bushes for that. They’re doing it again just as I’m writing this.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,518
    They can probably see their reflections in the glass and think they are competitors for the territory.
    I get the same with bluetits and shiny door handles!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Are they trying to get the small flies (gnats) or is there a spider's web?? 
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 589
    edited 31 March
    That might be it, @madpenguin. I didn’t think of that. Should I cut out a ‘predatory’ bird silhouette and bluetack it on the window?
    No flies or spiderwebs that I can see.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,103
    They often collect the spider webs and cocoons from around windows for nesting material.
    It didn’t really look like it was collecting anything. They were flapping their wings quite vigorously almost hovering in the air, pushing agains the glass (not in the corners either, but towards the centre of the window). My modest bird of prey silhouette didn’t work, the tit just used the edge of the paper to anchor its feet in order to keep balance better. My cutting skills have been laughed at.
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 605
    Why not just drape a blanket over the window until they get the hint?
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    edited 1 April
    Sounds like territorial behaviour to me as Bob says just hang a piece of fleece or something to stop the reflection they will soon stop, if not they could injure or even kill themselves.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 646
    To stop birds flying into windows we have cut out photos of raptors and stuck on the inside of the windows, it is the reflection of shrubs and trees that cause the problem.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,608
    edited 1 April
    We’ve done the same ... in the past we’ve found a  Song thrush, a Waxwing and a snipe dead on our terrace by the big studio windows ... they face East and it seems that the birds are confused by the reflected dawn sky ... it’s not happened again since we put the stick on photos of raptors on the window a couple of years ago ...fingers very 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh