ceratostigma plumbaginoides

snowyysnowyy Posts: 26
Hi 
planted 3 of these last April from plug size and they grew and flowered, they died down in winter which I expected as I read that they are a semi evergreen perennial, I’m a bit concerned now as as yet they have not started to come out of dormancy. From google I’ve got that they start to come back around April and that they are hardy so should survive the cold temperatures we had over winter. As you can see in the pic they are all brown, as a semi evergreen plant I would have assumed that they shouldnt look like this. Has anyone ever grown these or have experience with them! If so are they dead or just dormant, and if dead/dying should I cut them right back to the base. My fuschias are only just waking up so it could be just to early for them but I have no experience with this plant.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,025
    That's Ok, I don't think mine are showing yet either. It may say semi evergreen somewhere but mine die back completely every winter
  • Mine are also completely dormant.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    Mine also.
  • seakaleseakale Posts: 113
    My shrub also looks completely brown,but I have just cut out all the dead stems and put a mulch of manure round the base.  I have done this for 10 or so years.  Last year I grew 2 new plants from suckers.

the cut sticks I either weave or tie to a frame for the clematis to grow up
  • snowyysnowyy Posts: 26
    Mine still don’t seem to be doing anything :-( would have thought they would have shown some signs of life by now
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    Mine came out about a week ago. Here it is now - 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,025
    seakale said:
    My shrub also looks completely brown,but I have just cut out all the dead stems and put a mulch of manure round the base.  I have done this for 10 or so years.  Last year I grew 2 new plants from suckers.

the cut sticks I either weave or tie to a frame for the clematis to grow up
    this plant is probably Ceratostigma willmottianum. 

• snowyysnowyy Posts: 26
    Just to let you all know mine eventually came back, I know now for next time....always learning :-)